Imac DVD Burning not supported

Reaction score
I have an Intel Imac late 2009 with this super drive
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GA11N, which i have installed (the original drive stoped working also a HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GA11N)

It reads no problem but in disc utilities it says this drive is not burning supported.

But a third party disc program Express Burn burns the disc ok.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you sure it's an exact replacement for the drive that you removed? If Disk Utility refuses to recognize it, the firmware may be different.

When you run your System Profiler application, what does it tell you about the Superdrive? Copy and paste it in your reply. Let's see what it says.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi chscag
Thanks for your reply, i copied this as you sugested, i had to first translate form danish

HL-DT-ST DVD +-RW GA11N:

Firmware Version: A100
Connector Type: ATAPI
Support for burning: Yes (general drive support)
Beskrivelsessti: None
Buffer: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write:-R,-RW
DVD-Write:-R,-R DL,-RAM,-RW, + R, + R DL, + RW
Writing Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: You see the available burn speeds by inserting a disk and choose View> Refresh

As i said in my first thread i can read all DVD CD etc no problem, and i can write with third party mac programs, and in parallels 7 XP useing Nero to burn disc`s, its just snow leopard disk utility it wont burn.

It says in disk utility the drive does not support burning, in the drive that was faulty replaced it said burning supported by apple, i can see this in log file.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's certainly strange. From your System Profiler, the drive fully supports burning. I don't understand why Disk Utility is refusing to recognize the drive.

Try creating a test account temporarily. Log on to the test account and let's see if Disk Utility recognizes the drive for burning.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi Thanks again

A log on to a test account hmm, i just turn my iMac on no login i know i am a bad boy.

If i make a test account and login can i then go back to not loging in afterwards?

And how to make a test account?

I know very basic but i am a nebie to mac sorry.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open System Preferences, go to "Users & Groups". Click on the small + button at the bottom of the dialog. Create an account, name it anything you like and give it admin permissions. Log off your account and log on to the new account you just created. (you don't have to give it a password)

After logging on to the new account, see if you can use Disk Utility to burn a disk. Once you're finished testing, go back to your original account and remove the new account you just created. You do that by clicking on the small - minus button at the bottom of the dialog that you used before to add the account.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi I have now tried login to new account.

It did not help.

I now think that Apple change the firmware on this drive, such that you can not burn a DVD in disk utility, only burn useing third party software such as burn express in mac.

This i find very restictive of Apple, you cant buy spare parts for imac here in Denmark Apple wont sell them, and it takes 2-3 weeks to repair here.

Apple is ONE BIG MONEY making machine.

I have built many PC over 100 in my time, and changed many CD/DVD drives no problem.

The problem is Apple not being flexible.

Reaction score
Did you actually try to burn from within the disc utility? I just ask because I am perfectly able to burn from within the disk utility even though it states that burning on said drive is not supported.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi Heiko
Yes it will not burn in disk utility, i can burn in a mac program called Burn express.

I can see in disc utility that the old defekt drive was atapi and the new one is sata, but they are the same model HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GA11N: it s a Hitachi drive.

Something to do with drivers i think but where the **** are drivers in a mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If the original was IDE that is what you must replace it with unless you have worked out some way to bring SATA connections to the drive. How did you install it and did you use the original power and IDE connectors?

OP
J
Reaction score
It was not an IDE, it is a SATA plug, i think the iMac emulates ATAPI, the SATA plug is both power and data in one.
The iMac 27 inch is a late 2009 intel so IDE would be too old for this model.
The replaced DVD drive is identical to the old faulty drive, but not shipped by Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You did say the defective drive was atapi which is IDE not SATA.

OP
J
Reaction score
When looking at the DVD drive in system preferances it says ATAPI but it is a SATA drive HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GA11N:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.