2011 MacBookPro 15" with Lion will not start up properly!

Reaction score
I turned it off normally last night and everything seemed fine, and then when I tried to turn it on today it won't start up all of the way. It will make the apple noise and get to the screen with the gray apple and loading circle (not the rainbow, the other one) and and loading bar will get to just under a quarter of the way loaded and then it will just shut down. I have tried holding down the shift key and also the d key at start up (as recommended to me by a friend/the internet) and it does nothing, just goes to the same screen and shuts off. It is plugged in, so this isn't a power issue. I did install updates yesterday and told my computer I'd restart it later when it asked, but forgot and never did and just shut it down instead (not sure if that has anything to do with it?). Has anyone had this happen to them or know how I might go about fixing this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
This sounds like a trip to the shop. 130 page views and NOBODY has said anything. I admit, I wish I could be more help, but that's all I've got.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like an update may have gone wrong. It didn't matter if you shut down because the next time you booted up it would be the same as a restart.

Do this: Reboot the machine, hold down your option key, select the Recovery partition. After it boots to Recovery, select to reinstall Lion. You won't lose your data or documents. Let us know how it went.

OP
P
Reaction score
I did lose all of my data, which wasn't a big deal cause I had it all backed up anyway. But hey at least the thing finally turned on! Thanks :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.