Upgrading from Leopard to Lion - how?

Reaction score
So, I have an iMac that's running 10.5.8, and I want to upgrade to Lion.

I went into my local Apple store and asked about the various methods I could use to make my switch, and he said I could do one of two things:

1. Buy SL then upgrade, and then buy Lion and upgrade. This would retain all my HD information.

2. Buy the Lion USB Thumbdrive. I was under the impression that this would force a clean install.

What I'm not sure about is whether or not I can just pop the USB into my iMac and then have IT do all the work (ie: format then install all at once) or if I have to format the HD first, THEN pop the USB in and install Lion that way.

The instructions are simple - put it into the computer and click what pops up on the screen. When that second part happened for me, there was a white "do not enter" sign over it, so I couldn't do anything.

I'm not sure why the Apple employees told me that I could do it this way if I couldn't so I'm just assuming that I'm not following the right steps, but I'd like to know what exactly those steps are.

Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This is what is says on Apples site.......

To upgrade your Mac to OS X Lion, you must be running OS X Snow Leopard. If you have OS X v10.5 Leopard, purchase OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard now and install it on your Mac. Then buy OS X Lion as a digital download from the Mac App Store

OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive - Apple Store (U.S.)

2nd Paragraph. Looks like the person told you wrongly about that USB Thumb drive version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.