Please help!! Installing new internal hard drive with no Restore Disks

Reaction score
My macbook's hard drive crashed this summer and I just finally got a new hard drive. I should have looked into it more but had been told it was really easy.

First of I don't have a Torx T8 screwdriver. which i need to get the case off my old hard drive and onto my new one. first problem. which should be fixed if i go and buy one.

but the biggest problem is I do not have restore disks. I bought my mac from a used PC store that sold it to me cheap cause no one wanted to buy a mac (silly people) so not only do I not have restore disks, my disk drive doesn't work either.

so what I want to know. where can i get restore disks. is that something i can download? also can i make a disk image on a flashdrive or external hard drive that i could plug in and restore my hard drive and programs?

please help!! I can't afford to have someone do this for me so im stuck wandering in the dark figuring out how to do this.

thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about telling us the year and model of your Mac? Also, which version of OS X is it running? No one here has any idea of which restore disks you need until you provide the info.

Also, you can not download a restore disk, you'll have to purchase it. And if your optical drive is not working you'll probably need to buy an external USB drive to do the install.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well the best I can tell it is a 2006 model number A1181. Just a macbook. one of the plastic white ones. I probably sound horribly illiterate not knowing more about my computer. but I bought it used with no information about it and I have just used it since then. My ex boyfriend was the one that always installed and fixed things on it for me. I'm not sure what version of OS X it was running. I do know it was only a 60 gig.

Do I have the option of putting what ever version of OS X I want onto it? Or does it need to be the same as I had before?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It appears your MacBook is a 2006 Core 2 Duo machine which originally had Tiger (OS X 10.4.8) installed on it.

Since both Tiger and Leopard are expensive and hard to find a retail copy, my advice is to purchase a copy of Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.X) from Apple on line for $29.99 and use it to install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.