iPad 3 news?

Reaction score
Anyone hear anything about iPad 3 storage space? I'm finding as time goes on memory space is becoming an issue. I simply won't be upgrading unless I see 128gb. Any words through the wire?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As usual when answering these types of questions regarding what Apple will or won't make available with a refresh, our answer is still the same: We have no idea. Keep tuned to the "Rumors forum" where if anything does show up, it will be posted there.

C

chas_m

As chscag says, nobody here knows what the storage space might be, but I'm highly intrigued as to why you (or anyone) would need more than 64GB (and whether you'd actually pay the price of a theoretical 128GB iPad if one existed, it's VERY likely to cost at least $1K).

If music is eating up the majority of your space, you'll want to look into iTunes Match.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
At 64GB the iPad 2 WiFi is $699 and WiFi+3G is $829..assuming that the flash (memory) prices are not going to plummet in the next 6 months, I'd highly doubt a great increase in capacity up to 128GB. Now Apple could definitely increase the storage size, but that would almost definitely require a price bump that will make the iPad 3 almost as expensive as the cheapest Macbook's and people will just skip that version and go to the Macbook if they are already spending that much money..

My guess is that they will keep the storage sizes the same and work on other enhancements, thinner, better displays (retina anyone?), faster processor..Siri?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
My wish list is a storage slot even if Apple has to make their own type of external storage card I would buy it.

I don't use much space now but once I start with my comic collection and adding videos I will need the space.

Reaction score
Wow, I load dozens of iPod Touch formatted movies on my iPad and still end up with room to spare. That includes about 14gb of music and multitudes of apps, Pages. I am amazed at how much 64gb holds. Can't imagine needing more on my iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I have a 64GB generation 1 and if/when I get the iPad 3, I'll get the 32GB. 64GB is overkill for my needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
I have found 32GB to be the perfect fit as far as storage sizes go.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
My wish list is a storage slot even if Apple has to make their own type of external storage card I would buy it.

I don't use much space now but once I start with my comic collection and adding videos I will need the space.

Apple will never do that, with the iTunes store, iPhone Store and iTunes syncing, they can keep check on what is being installed on the device and protect it from harm..with a removal card, all that goes out the window and you are opening yourself up for issues..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I dont know but what i do know 99% positive is that it is going to have a better screen, bigger battery, and thicker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
The iPhone 5 is going to be x, y and z... Exactly what everyone was saying up until the day of the announcement of the iPhone 4S.

Nobody knows (at least nobody who doesn't directly have a responsibility for the product), and the internet has just as many rumors about a thicker Retina iPad as it does the standard display 7" model...

Reaction score
Wow, I load dozens of iPod Touch formatted movies on my iPad and still end up with room to spare. That includes about 14gb of music and multitudes of apps, Pages. I am amazed at how much 64gb holds. Can't imagine needing more on my iPad.

I have 76 gigs worth of music on my iPod, 20 gigs worth of apps on my iPad, 30 gigs worth of comic cbr files and probably 5 gigs of books. You wonder how anyone could need more space? I remember thinking that a 20 gig hard drive in a desktop was enough. Point is you can never have too much storage space. I can't fit everything I want to on a 64gig iPad so a 128 would be awesome. As far as prices, apples cost per unit difference is small on the storage size, they actually could sell the 64gig version for the 16 gigs price and still make a 400% or better profit. Good example of electronics markups is the Jawbone Icon Bluetooth headset. Retailers cost for one is a tad over $16. They then sale them for $79.99

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 76 gigs worth of music on my iPod, 20 gigs worth of apps on my iPad, 30 gigs worth of comic cbr files and probably 5 gigs of books. You wonder how anyone could need more space? I remember thinking that a 20 gig hard drive in a desktop was enough. Point is you can never have too much storage space. I can't fit everything I want to on a 64gig iPad so a 128 would be awesome. As far as prices, apples cost per unit difference is small on the storage size, they actually could sell the 64gig version for the 16 gigs price and still make a 400% or better profit. Good example of electronics markups is the Jawbone Icon Bluetooth headset. Retailers cost for one is a tad over $16. They then sale them for $79.99

Welcome to the forum.

The iPad to cost of materials alone is about $300 for the 16GB version. I understand that in much of consumer electronics the end retail markup is ridiculous. With the iPad it really isn't. Apple makes a lot less on the device because they control the back end market for media/apps/movies/etc...

I will admit that the 64GB version costs less than $100 dollars more to produce, but they aren't making 400% on anything in the iPad line up... The extras (docks/cases/covers) may have that kind of margin built in, but the iPad doesn't.

C

chas_m

Actually, Apple's cost of materials (which ignores the very relevant costs of marketing, distribution, R&D and all the other stuff that makes the magic happen) is available online ($320 for a 32GB Wi-Fi), and is their profit margin: it's about 35 percent of the total, true cost (this is the profit Apple makes from selling to resellers like Best Buy, Apple dealers et al). The store's profit margin on a $500 iPad is less than $50 last time I looked.

But to your original questions, Lordwarduke and iDavid, I reply thus: have you ever heard of "management"?

The fact of the matter is that you don't actually NEED all that stuff on your iDevice. It is not physically possible, even with unlimited time, to listen to 76GBs of music or play with 20GB of apps (et al) before the battery runs out. So you actually have to put down the thing once in a while to let it charge. Maybe sometimes while it's charging, you could sync it?

Music in particular is childishly simple to manage, even without iTunes Match: make a playlist that swaps out the music each time you sync. Takes no time at all, fresh new tunes every time, frees up a ton of space. Even more so for videos, take off the unwatched ones slap on some new ones, again takes all of a minute.

Yes, never having to sync and being able to carry our ever-expanding collections of stuff on the iPad/iPhone as though it were a magical bag of holding would be wonderful. It would also be nice to have a flying rich wizard for a friend and could give me anything I wanted. Neither one of these things is ever going to happen, however, so instead a modicum of easy management seems to be the best way to let people have the most access to the stuff they own anywhere they go, but the "cost" is a few moments work maybe as much as once a week. Oh the burden of first world problems! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.