Mighty Mouse Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
Just bought the mighty mouse out of my birthday money.

I have set the keys for the mouse after installing the software, and basically, the middle button and side buttons do not work when I press them.

Middle button is set to dashboard
Side button set to Expose

I repaired permissions etc, but still no joy - all I get is when I press the side button, my internet page goes back - anyone any idea of the problem?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you pressing on the ball and down also? Make sure your finger is not on the LEft area. If it is the Middle will not work as the Left area even if you finger is close will detect it as on the Left and the Middle or right will not work. Just tried mine and it seems to affect the Side press also if my left finger is almost touching the Left button side.

If it's not that it should work if you have the software installed. Are you using Tiger? Those buttons will not work under Panther.

OP
Kyomii
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi dtravis, thankyou for your quick reply :)

I am using Tiger with the latest update.

I press the centre button without any other contact on the mouse and ....nothing.

I press the side button and my internet page goes back. If I press it without the browser loaded, I just get the sound clunk noise, nothing happens.

I have deleted the plist of both usb overdrive for the mouse (which I do not use) and the standard apple plist.

I then repaired permissions
I then reinstalled the software.

Nothing :(

The scroll feature works fine though. I want to see if I can sort this out before taking the trip back to take it back.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is a strange one indeed. I will do some looking around and see if I can find a solution. You have tried most of what I would have suggested. It should work. I checked my control panel and there are no things go check except horizontal and Vertical Scrolling. Will get back to you unless someone else had the problem and knows a fix.

So far I have been all over the net and nothing like your problem talked about. Just the typical complaints of people that don't really know how to use the MM correctly. Will keep looking. Only time I have ever seen your problem was when the MM was used with Panther or before or on the PC which makes me wonder if it's a problem in OSX itself. Try searching for any .plist files for the Mighty Mouse software and deleting them. Somewhere I once read that the Overdrive app causes problems with the Mighty Mouse. Try completely getting rid of the Overdrive and see if that solves it.

My MM has been 100% so far. Good luck and if I think of anything else will post it for you.

OP
Kyomii
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thankyou so much dtravis for you help. I am going to delete the USB overdrive as you suggest, and also see if I can find any more plist files. The only one I could find was a standard apple .plist, but will search again.

Will also delete everything I can find to do with the USB overdrive, although I hardly ever use it, it was only set up for bugdom 2 to use a joypad with.

I will keep searching too see too. Thanks again, your help is much appreciated. :)

OP
Kyomii
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yesssss! It is now working thankfully :)

I uninstalled USB overdrive, rebooted, and the mouse worked as it should immediately :)

Thankyou again dtravis :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
i guess you had an older version of usb overdrive...because the newer version supports the mighty mouse

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
Kyomii
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thankyou. I have just downloaded the later version, I had the previous version. USB overdrive and mighty mouse now working in sync :)

Thanks again!

OP
Kyomii
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I must add, now that it is working, I really like it. I love the scroll button, it is so comfy and easy to use. A tad on the expensive side for a mouse though, but all in all, I am very pleased :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.