Installing new SSD in Macbook

Reaction score
Hey guys

I have a new SSD, and wondered what's the best way of going about transferring everything across from my HDD?

Can I put the SSD in, and use the SNOW LEOPARD disc to restore from a Time Machine backup, even if the time machine backup is Lion?

Or do I have to install Snow Leopard, upgrade to Lion again, and then restore from a backup?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
You could make a usb Lion Recovery Disk Assistant and then restore from the Lion Time Machine Backup or just install Lion with the usb and transfer files you want over with Migration Assistant. Here's a link to download and instructions for Lion Recovery Disk Assistant

OP
X
Reaction score
Cheers

In the end I just installed leopard, the lion.

If I do a restore from time machine, I assume it will turn everything back to what it was? And will delete any settings I've just put on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
Yea any restore from Time Machine will revert it back to the exact way it was at the time of the particular backup you choose to restore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.