Multiple Users

Reaction score
I have been using my new MacBook Air (11 inch) for a little over a month now----trying to get used to it and somehow I now have other "users" on my machine. I suspect I got them when I migrated information from two Windows computers to the Mac. When I try to open the folders for those users I get the message that I do not have permission??? Three questions: how do I get permission to open those folders?; how can I delete those users and their folders/files?; and is their a way to disengage the need for a password every time I want to do something on this Mac? Thanks for your answers and patience.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Migrating other "users" from a Windows machine can cause problems because of limiting permissions. The easiest way to get rid of them is log on as the root user and remove them.

Follow these Apple instructions to enable the root user on your machine. LINK

Make sure that you only remove those user accounts and nothing else. When logged on as root user you can do serious damage to the system if you remove something you're not supposed to.

Oh, and make a backup of everything before you start - just in case! :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you. I did open the "Root User" access, but as per your warning I got a little nervous so I canceled out. However, I got into the "user permission function" and gave myself full permission to access all other users. So now I can access each user and delete the user and/or files I don't want. The "other" users are just my wife and I under various names, which must have happened when I migrated data from the two Windows pcs. The only problem is that many files were duplicated amounting to several GBs and with this Mac I can't waste GBs!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you delete the unwanted user account, it will remove all the user only files under that user's name and contained in the user library folder. That should cut back on most of the duplicated and excess files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.