Recent sudden internet loss

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" quad-core iMac, 8GB RAM, 2TB HD...15" MBP w/ 4GB RAM...etc.
I would be online then suddenly my internet access would end. Yet, when I looked at the WiFi icon on the top right corner it would say I have full signal strength. Is it because I live in a condo and there's just too much traffic the past 2 days?

It happened once yesterday and once today. I had to restart my iMac. Each time.

Could some one be causing this on purpose?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
That signal icon represents strength of your signal to your wireless router (your network). It doesn't change if you lose internet connection. The problem could be with your internet provider. Perhaps even your modem. Have you tried to reset your modem? Unplug power, unplug coax, wait 30 seconds, plug coax back in, then plug power back in.

I went through a period of constant internet interruption a couple of years ago due to my cable company making changes in the area. Cleared up in about a month or so and never had problems since.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No I didn't try resetting the modem. We did have a brief power outage yesterday. Don't recall though if my loss of internet connection happened before or after. :) Could have been my provider. Who knows. I'm going to be moving out of my condo suite in mid-Feb 2012 so no matter. Just wondered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
There could be other factors, of course. Technical, environmental, etc. Someone could be interfering with your connection if you didn't have strong encryption and password for your network. WPA2 and an alpha-numeric password are strongly recommended. Choose a unique word like "firetruck" and replace some of the letters with numbers = "f1r3truc7" or something like that.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a password & firewall setup at the modem. The modem probably just needed to be reset. Which I ended up doing this morning because it happened again.

Thanks pal. This is likely nothing. I'm signing off. :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I'm back. :) Happened once yesterday. I reset the modem (e.g. unplugged the power for a few seconds...might not have been enough time). Things were fine the rest of the day. Then it just happened again a few minutes ago. Unplugged the power this time for maybe 30 seconds. Internet reception returned.

Not sure what it is. My condo network of wiring? Possible. Though, it's been fine all year. On the other hand the network in this building could be having problems now with the cold weather. We've had subzero weather recently. On/off.

Minor annoyance. Won't have to deal with after Feb 15th. Sold my condo suite recently. :)

Hopefully my internet access stays stable for the next few weeks. Will be returning my modem in a few weeks to the provider (need to return items within 30-days of property closing).

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Happened again today (Jan 1st, 2012). I think it might be because there's just too much traffic being as I'm living in a condo. Every one with internet connections. Almost every one with smartphones. Texting like mad because of this time of year. New Year's Eve/Day. I wasn't having this problem before Xmas day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.