Question about macbook pro 2011

Reaction score
Hello -

I would like a macbook pro to make some videos for my online business. Mainly, I would use Keynote and iMovie. I'm not that familiar with these programs; I would need to do some voice recording along with the presentations, and if they don't allow me to point at things during the presentations, I would likely need to use a screen capture program (like Camtasia) to record things.

I am not a gamer.

So my question is: given all of the above, are the following macbook pro specifications good enough for me?

2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor
500 GB Hard Drive @ 5400rpm, 8x DVD/CD SuperDrive, 4 GB DDR3 RAM
15.4 inch LED-backlit display, 1440-by-900 resolution
AMD Radeon HD 6490M graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR5 memory

This is on sale right now in my area for $1549 plus tax. It comes pre-loaded with the latest version of Snow Leopard, not Lion.

Mainly, I want to know that there won't be significant lag time or freezing or any other signs of strain and sub-optimal performance with my videos.

The most recent version of this is 2.2GHz and has double the MB in the graphics processor, and also runs Lion. Is it worth the extra $300 or so to get the most recent version, or will the specs outlined above suffice for what I need?

Thanks so much for any help that anyone can offer.

OP
M
Reaction score
seems more than capable enough for what you need.

Thanks for the reply. Could you please let me know if you have experience doing the work that I've described? I just want a sense of what your opinion is based on.

Thanks a lot.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Could you please let me know if you have experience doing the work that I've described? I just want a sense of what your opinion is based on.

Thanks a lot.

well I use a dual core i5 (2011 13 inch) for editing videos in final cut pro x and I also use autocad and sketch up pro with no problems and keep in mind that the 13 inch model I have doesnt even have a dedicated graphics chip like the one you mentioned, so if mine does this with no issues so should yours :)

OP
M
Reaction score
well I use a dual core i5 (2011 13 inch) for editing videos in final cut pro x and I also use autocad and sketch up pro with no problems and keep in mind that the 13 inch model I have doesnt even have a dedicated graphics chip like the one you mentioned, so if mine does this with no issues so should yours :)

Thanks a million. This is all I need to know. I will go with the 2.0 GHz and 256 video processing version. Really appreciate you taking the time to help.

Reaction score
That price sure seems a little high and with the old OS it is really to high. Best Buy has one with the Lion OS and a 750 HD for $1,500US Now I don't know what Country you are in.
apple mac pro - BestBuy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.