Not enough disk space

Reaction score
wanted to download a file 4.43GB and don,t have enough space.

how do i find out how much space left on HD.How much space being used on start up .

I have 2.08 gb in trash.I assume if they are in the trash they are not important operating files. Mostly Jpeg,mp3 ,In iphoto there is 3500+items.

i never use garage band,would removing it free up space,?

Mac Book OSX 10.6.3 mem 3GB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You should free up a bit more space that that for comfort

Start by emptying the trash, then move on to an app like Disk Inventory X to find out what is taking up all that room
Disk Inventory X

As for garage band

If you plan to uninstall iDVD or GarageBand by moving these applications' icons from Applications folder to the Trash, be sure to also trash the corresponding iDVD or GarageBand folders within the Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support folder. These folders contain iDVD themes and GarageBand loops and instruments, respectively, that consume several gigabytes of disk space.

OP
O
Reaction score
Can i hi light say 10 files and then click empty trash,or will that still empty all files in tras h

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
no, its all or nothing, you would have to take files out of the trash to keep them

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
wanted to download a file 4.43GB and don,t have enough space.

You need to seriously free up more hard drive space. If you cannot download a 4 gig file/app...then your HD is almost full. Let your hard drive get full...and you WILL be in for some unpleasant problems...like you won't be able to use it. Plus an almost full HD slows things down.

Remember...your computers HD is not one BIG garbage can where everything needs to be kept. If you have a bunch of stuff you've downloaded, installed, etc....and you're not using it...get rid of it...it's just clogging up your HD.

If you have lots & lots of videos, photos, and music on your HD (and you don't use this stuff very often)...move these items to an external HD...or burn these items to a CD or DVD.

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
disc space

I have deleted everything in trash,I burnt photos to a dvd-r. What is the correct way to delete photos from iphoto. Also how do i check my disc space?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4, iPad 2, MacBook 13.3" white (2007 model)
@louishen

I have a similar problem as well with the Hard Drive space. I ran the Disc Inventory X application, however, I have no idea where to begin with removing files, etc. I did notice that things like "Document" held the lead with 3.5GB and 58009 files. iTunes also was at the top with 2.9GB. I'm not really sure where to go from here. I don't even have any music files transferred from my iPhone or iPad on this iTunes...

Also the computer says: Macintosh HD: Capacity 74.2GB, Used 27.7GB, Available Free 46.5 GB so I'm slightly confused why I dont have enough space to download and run Microsoft Office...

Any help appreciated here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011 2.4GHZ 4GB Ram 500GB HD
Same problem

What i did was back up your old files on an online storage site then take your operating system disc and go to utilities and select memory erase. Youl have a clean slate and the download your files that you need. This really works i had an iMac G5 and i did that very thing. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4, iPad 2, MacBook 13.3" white (2007 model)
Thanks MacAddict. What is the operating system disc? I purchased this MacBook as previously owned so I basically just got the computer itself. Since I just got this MacBook and haven't really stored anything on it yet, I'm ok with just wiping it out if I can just figure out how to!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.