iMac: replace HD or time for new iMac?

Reaction score
Finally got my SL disk to start up and run disk utility to install OS X SL ( which is the same OS as my backup). I had to create a new account - go through all the prompts that OS X does at the beginning. I finally opened migration assistant to get the backup from time machine , but now after uploading, I have three accounts; old me from backup, old wife from back up, and new me.

I was able to boot to disk once... After attempting to repair hd instead of formatting... I was unable to get it to boot to disk... See my other post... Apparently u have to have a working HD that is not corrupted or it can stop start manager / cd boot / bios

They gave me a 500 gb hd free ftw... Use my letter in post... Which u didnt even look at

OP
N
Reaction score
I partitioned my HD as well using bootcamp. I think the same thing happened to me. My applecare ran out a while ago, and I don't think I'll be able to talk my way into a free HD.

OP
N
Reaction score
If I delete my Windows partition (I don't really use it anymore - just for some old audio software) and reformat completely, will it fix my problem?

OR,

Once bootcamp does its damage, there's no return?

I really don't think I have a leg to stand on if I try to get a free HD from the Genius Bar.

If I go third party (cheaper) to install a new HD, if the same problem persists it's not like I can return the HD and ask for my money back (I should get the cost of the HD, but wouldn't get the labor charges back that's for sure - and that can run probably 100 bucks).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.