• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Recording a phone conversation on an iMac

M

Milwauken

How can I use my iMac to record a telephone conversation? I have an important conference call coming up, lasting over an hour, and I need to record what is being said. I have a telephone jack input on the back of the iMac. What software do I need? :batman:

OP
S

sursuciofla

I am not aware of such a program for the mac but I may be wrong. I am interested in knowing this as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The "Telephone Jack" is for the modem. Some of the older Modem software used to allow you to talk on the phone from you Mac via a Mic. To be honest, I have not played with a modem in so long I don't even know what is available. One option you do have though is to use a speakerphone and a Mic and record the convo as a sound file (perhaps through QT if you have QT Pro). It might not be the best quality, but it would work. Get an Apple approved Mic though; many standard PC Mics don't work on Macs.

On a side note, there are some legal issues here. Legally, if you plan on recording the convo, you have to inform all parties involved that the convo will be recorded, and verbally obtain their consent. I assume you live in the US, and this is both a Federal and (in most cases) a state law. Just something to think about.

OP
S

sursuciofla

Nice disclaimer there I forgot about that one.

Unless you are being threatened then you don't have to inform the parties. Also the government doesn't have a problem tapping you without permission and I totally disagree with that. :black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.