empty .dmg file

Reaction score
I have a file with a .dmg extension. When I check it in Disk Utility, it says it has 11 files, totaling 10.9MB. However, when I mount this image, it shows no files.

I opened the image on my Win7 PC using 7-ZIP and I was able to open the file and see the contents. The contents are:

.fseventsd
.Trashes
.HFS+ Private Directory Data
[]
.com.apple.timemachine.supported - 0 bytes
.journal - 8,388,608 bytes
.journal_info_block 4,096

All files have a time stamp of 2008-10-08. I'm trying to recover the contents for my Mom. I seems that .journal has the content I need to but how can I retrieve it?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
On a Mac. .DMG os Mac only, as .exe is Windows only.
Double click it on a Mac and it will unstuff.

OP
E
Reaction score
On a Mac. .DMG os Mac only, as .exe is Windows only.
Double click it on a Mac and it will unstuff.

I double clicked it on my MacBook Pro. I shows as a device in finder, but when I click on the device, it shows it as empty as no file are displayed. The entire .dmg file is about 104 megs and I guess the contents within it total about 10.9 megs according to disk utility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
So it mounts as a HD icon on the desktop? This is what it should do, and then within that HD icon should be the software or whatever it is it's supoosed to contain.
If it's not there I suspect it's corrupt.

Reaction score
Notice all the filenames except [] begin with a . (period). On a mac this is an invisible file. That's why you cant see anything.
Try renaming the file you want, changing the . and you should see the file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.