Saving to cd's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 Intel, 1 GB Memory
I think this belongs in the OSX Forum, but don't know how to move it, now.

I'm going to upgrade from Tiger 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard 6.3 via new SN startup disk from Apple. I want to save everything from Tiger to r/w dvd's before loading. My Macbook HD holds 111 GB with 93.5 available according to "About this Mac".

Will this require multiple disks to hold everything? What happens when a disk gets full?

I recently lost years worth data by mis-using Omni Disk Sweeper. The only way I could reboot was by erasing whatever was left with an "erase all" re-install of the Tiger OS. So there's not much in the system anymore except what was there from the factory in july 2007 and a few Safari bookmarks I've added in the last two days since the "big flub-up".

I bought an 8 Gb flash drive for this, but am too confused about creating disk-images and somehow getting them to a USB port and onto the flash drive.

Any advice?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't use DVD media because you will have no way to split things like system folders and files. You could do it with a backup program that will automatically ask for another disk when one is full. However, it's much easier to use a large flash drive which can hold all of your Tiger install at once. Or just use a spare hard drive if you have one.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 Intel, 1 GB Memory
Thanks, chscag! I think this should probably be in the OSX Forum, but I don't know how to move it there..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved it for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.