PowerBook g4 will not boot up

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a PowerBook G4 15inch 167mhz. It's pretty old and no longer has apple care. Within the last year the battery has lost all ability to charge and would heat up so I just removed it until I could get a new one. Recently my screen has started to freeze up and sometimes afterwards the computer would not reboot. Today it will not give me any chime or visual (not even the grey apple screen) as I attempt to start it. Any ideas? Willing to try almost anything before I buy a new one (it's tough being a student). Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
have you still got the original restore disk, you could attempt to boot up from that

OP
P
Reaction score
Right before it finished booting up with the restore disc the screen froze up again and everything stopped spinning. Now it won't boot at all with the disc

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like the hard drive died. Do you have another that you can try in its place? Or, you can try removing the hard drive and see if the PB will boot up from disk that way.

OP
P
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot without the hard drive. Would the hd failing cause the screen to blank out, I also lost all sound (speakers/headphones) a few hours before it started freezing

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.