General Mail IMAP/POP Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro 17", MB Air 13" 1.7Ghz Core i7, iMac 27" 3.1Ghz, iPhone 5, couple iPad 2s and a 3 + 20 more
Merry Christmas everyone!

Just picked up the new Air and have a general question regarding Mail.

I want to add one of my mail accounts to my new Air but I don't want to download the over 10,000 messages stored on that particular server.

POP will download them all for local storage and IMAP does the same without downloading them, rather displaying them.

Any idea how I can download/view only "unread" messages... I don't need the 10,000 mails from the past 5+ years.

Any ideas?

Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 13", 2.0 i7, 8GB, Intel HD 4000 512MB, 250GB, 10.8.3
With POP on gmail you can select the date from which to start the download of emails. unfortunately if you're running Lion, then you cannot set up Mail with gmail POP...

Archive the server maybe?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 2GB RAM 500GB HD OS X Lion 10.7.3
With POP on gmail you can select the date from which to start the download of emails. unfortunately if you're running Lion, then you cannot set up Mail with gmail POP...

Archive the server maybe?

I have Lion and Mail 5.2 It downloaded my inbox messages but not my sent emails, which I would like to have stored in my computer rather than gmail on-line.
If Lion does not set up with gmail POP, there is no way to download the sent emails on my gmail accounts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.