Question regarding download...

Reaction score
Hey guys new poster to the Mac Forum, looking to use this site to help out w/ some issues I am having...

I have a truck 2009 Dodge RAM and I am trying to download the service manual for my truck and I cannot find a way to get it to download on my MacBook Pro. The instructions from the site say I need to use a window's based program, I have tried d/l Internet Explorer to get it to work and nothing...

Here's the link to the site where you get the direct download.

http://mcfail.net/dt/Service manual.zip

Here is the link to the forum I found it on w/ the instructions...

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=72221

I am just at a loss of what I need to do to get this to work, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just downloaded it with Chrome (Mac browser) from the site you linked. The file is 165.4 MB and takes around 3 minutes to download with a fast connection. I just opened the zip file and it expands to Windows files. So yes, you do need Windows to run it. I'm quite surprised that they didn't format it as a PDF file.

I don't have my Windows machine handy to open the service manual. However, here's what you can do:

1. Download the zip file. Save it on your hard drive in your documents folder.

2. Now you have a choice. You can either install Windows on your Mac or ask a friend with a Windows machine to run the program for you and print out the manual.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, I have it downloaded to my desktop on my computer and moved it into my "truck folder". So how do I install windows on a mac, I was reading about Bootcamp, is that how you do that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You don't really need to use the Boot Camp assistant unless you want to run Windows games and other programs that need graphic acceleration in Windows. Also it would require dual booting.

Here's my suggestion:

Download the free VirtualBox virtual machine software from Oracle. Here is the LINK. Install VirtualBox and then install Windows with the virtual software. You will of course need a legal full install version of Windows. You can even use Windows 2000 if you wish, but I recommend at least XP Home.

It's easy to do and once setup it does not require dual booting the machine to get into Windows. A virtual machine runs within OS X and in turn runs a virtual session of Windows all within OS X. Works very well.

OP
M
Reaction score
Okay so I downloaded and installed windows XP and then I tried 2000 b/c neither of them worked correctly, when I turn it on it says "FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted."

I don't know what that means..any idea? Thanks once again for all the help so far!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What kind of Windows XP disk did you use to install? How about the Windows 2000 disk? Remember, they have to be full install versions. Also - and I should have mentioned it earlier... you can't use an OEM install disk such as Sony, Dell, Acer, etc. They generally will not work. Recovery disks likewise will not work.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ahhhh I got it, so I have to get an install disk in order to install the window's program using "Virtual Box"...? Well that sounds like my next step, finding a disk to install this then.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, you need a Windows install disk. You would need an install disk either way; using the Boot Camp assistant or virtual software. Make sure it's a full install disk because you can not eject a disk during installation to show proof of upgrade as you would normally do installing one Windows version over another.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.