Password on 11" Air

Reaction score
I got a used 11" air for Xmas. I am unable to get the password or reset it. It is running Snow Leopard. The USB system installer will not let me reset the password or boot without a password. I can't get it to boot twith an external CD with Snow Leopard disc in it. Is there some way I can just dump the system and software and reinstall?

Reaction score
Did you get the original install USB or CD's that had Snow Leopard and iLife '09 on them? I believe you need the correct version for the type of mac laptop or computer you are using. Otherwise you may need a retail version with a full install of Snow Leopard but then you will not have iLife '09. Hopefully the really knowledgeables will chime in on this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Depends.

If it is firmware password protected big problems. This is what you see if implemented ~ scroll down to see the padlock on the link"-

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1352

Tell us about the SL disc? Is it a black full retail install DVD? When you mentioned an external CD, take it this really is a DVD player/burner?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Harry. It sure sounds like a firmware password set to me. If that's the case, take your sales receipt or other proof of purchase or gift with you to your local Apple store and ask them to wipe the firmware password.

On the newer machines, only Apple can wipe or reset the firmware password. There were several work arounds for older machines, but not for the late models.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.