Messages icon gone from my wifes iphone 4

Reaction score
My wifes icon for text messages is gone from the iphone and I dont know how to find it again...I tried in settings to see if i could restore it but to no avail.

any help would be appreciated!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Silly question, but are you sure it's not buried in a folder? I would swipe over to the search screen and type "Messages" into it and see what it comes up with. Since that app is a "system" app (i.e. it's built into the firmware), I don't believe it can be removed. I'm guessing it's either gotten moved to another screen or gotten accidentally dragged into a folder.

OP
S
Reaction score
I will try search, thanks! I thought the same thing its a system app so it cannot be removed!

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok, I can search the messages program, but I cannot find the icon in ios. its gone, its not in any folders etc....any other ideas?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I can search the messages program, but I cannot find the icon in ios. its gone, its not in any folders etc....any other ideas?

So, it's out there, just not sure "where".

Did you swipe through all of the screens? Look in all of the folders?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is this iPhone jailbroken by chance?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well Steve, I'm out of ideas. Seems like an odd one to be sure - especially considering it shows up on a search.

Did anything unusual lead up to the missing icon? Any changes to settings or perhaps a kidlet playing around with her phone?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yes, kid is what did it. he's 5 yo, and has autism, he loves the apps on the phone.

Yeah, mine LOVE to move my icons around too, that's what made me think about it.

I wonder if you can disable the Messages app in parental controls... I don't have mine on me at the moment, but I'll take a look around.

OP
S
Reaction score
ok, thanks.

let me know when you have a look. if not im going to be forced to call apple and pay to figure it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Or you can restore the thing and restore your apps and whatnot from iTunes. I'd never pay for apples help. Could be a glitch in the software and they will tell you to restore anyway.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, thanks.

let me know when you have a look. if not im going to be forced to call apple and pay to figure it out.

Yeah, I did - I actually played around with a bunch of settings trying to make it disappear, but never could. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I think rippingviper has it right. I would make sure you've got it fully backed up on iTunes and then do a factory settings restore and re-sync before you spend any money on Apple's support (who will likely advise you to do the same before you even get started).

Reaction score
reset home screen

1 goto settings
2 goto general
3. goto reset
4/ hit reset home screen layout

it will not erase any icons buts puts them all in alphabetical order and finds the lost icon.

Reaction score
Missing messages app icon

I had this problem and I had to reset my iPhone twice and when I restored all my apps and my Cydia apps, the problem appeared again. I found out that if I opened iRealSMS and selected the "Hide Messages App" from settings, even though it was "not hidden", then reversed this option again, the Message App icon appeared.
So pls try this first if u have iRealSMS installed.
Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.