updating ipod with older computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 Power PC 1.33 GHz, 1.5 GB
So I received an iPod Touch 3 as a gift. I'd like to update the iOS but my old iBook g4 will not support iTunes 10. Is it possible to update the iPod with iTunes 9? Thanx.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can try but I believe your iPod Touch 3 needs iTunes 10.X in order to update the iOS. You don't have to do the updating on a Mac though. As much as I don't like recommending Windows, if you have access to a Windows machine running Windows Vista or Windows 7, you can download iTunes 10.X and update your Touch that way. The latest version of iTunes is 10.5.2.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, it does want iTunes 10, if I don't have access to another computer (let's say I'm alone on a mountain), is there any other way to do it? Also won't my iPod want to sync with another computer if i try to update it on another system?

thanx

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No other way to do it as far as I know. And yes, if you had a Windows 7 machine running iTunes 10.5.2 and hooked up your Touch, it would want to sync with iTunes on that machine. But frankly, what of it?

I've synced iPods with Windows machines before. And then later on when I bought my first Mac, I synced again to the new Mac.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess my issue is that I'd be using someone elses machine. Would syncing to a different computer cost me my library? Could I update on someone else's machine and then re-sync to my computer or will my iPod be incompatible with my poor little mac once it is all high falootin' and updated?

Thanx again for your input and happy/ merry.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a different scenario. You would not want to sync using someone else's machine - regardless if it were a Mac or PC. What I recommended was updating it using a Windows machine that belonged to you. The reason not to use a machine that doesn't belong to you is obvious.

One other thing you can try... take your new Touch to an Apple store and ask one of the techs there to update it for you. They can update it without syncing and should do it for free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.