iPad 1 update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.06 GHZ intel core 2 duo OSx 10.7.2iMac G5 10.4.11 , ipad
I have a old iMac that I can't update past 10.4.11, can i take my iPad to the apple store and have them update it ? And if so is it free ?

Thanks !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I suspect they would update it for free. Actually, if no one's looking, you could probably plug it in to on of their display Macs and do it yourself for free!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Wouldn't iTunes get all tetchy and try to wipe the iPad before the update, due to it only being able to sync with one PC at a time?!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know though, Apple may have some sort of bypass that allows them to update devices willy-nilly.

If your nearest store isn't too far away, I'd give them a shout!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good idea....I really need a new computer...lol....any comments on my other posts ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ref the Darwin Login issue - I have no idea, sorry - Way over my head that one!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks, yea that actually started when I plugged my iPad into iMac and wanted to see what update I could possibly do

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Wouldn't iTunes get all tetchy and try to wipe the iPad before the update, due to it only being able to sync with one PC at a time?!

Yes, but it's a non-issue. Backup your iPad at home. Then update at the Apple Store. It will warn you that you'll lose your data since you are syncing with a different machine, but proceed anyway. Losing the data make no difference. Once the iOS update is complete, go back home and restore from the backup you made. Your apps and data will be restore, but are restored onto the new iOS firmware.

Technically, the same thing happens when you update at home on your own machine. iTunes backs up the iPad. It then wipes the data & installs the new firmware. Once the update is complete, it restores from the backup it made at the beginning. No matter where you update, the data is going to get wiped from the iPad for a brief period.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, but it's a non-issue. Backup your iPad at home. Then update at the Apple Store. It will warn you that you'll lose your data since you are syncing with a different machine, but proceed anyway. Losing the data make no difference. Once the iOS update is complete, go back home and restore from the backup you made. Your apps and data will be restore, but are restored onto the new iOS firmware.

Technically, the same thing happens when you update at home on your own machine. iTunes backs up the iPad. It then wipes the data & installs the new firmware. Once the update is complete, it restores from the backup it made at the beginning. No matter where you update, the data is going to get wiped from the iPad for a brief period.

I called the apple store and they said that the iPad should be backed up from my home computer

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. That's exactly what Jaygray said. Second sentence of his post, in fact.

Then if I backup at home then it doesn't matter what the guy at apple store said because it would be the same thing as long as I back up first....does that make sense.....LOL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.