When Apps cause your Imac to crash what is the normal operating procedure?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
I am checking out the App store and seeing a few reviews of each app and some state it caused their mac to crash. When that happens what do you do? Is there a safe mode restart or do you just restart as normal and reinstall the App?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just reboot and run Repair Permissions from Disk utility.

Be very very wary about 'some say' on the 'net

OP
Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
Thanks Harry for the info!

I take the reviews with a grain of sugar not to worry :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Crashes can be caused by and solved by doing various things. It's hard to know how to fix a crash without it happening. Regardless, if an app is crash prone, you'd be best to avoid it and if you need it, find a suitable alternative.

C

chas_m

Just for the record, apps DON'T cause the Mac to crash. That's the whole point of OS X's protected memory. 99 percent of the time there is something else going on there that the user didn't bother to mention or wasn't aware of (or it's actually the user at fault).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Just for the record, apps DON'T cause the Mac to crash.
Sure they can. If a file has elevated privileges, it sure could crash the operating system. Even if it doesn't, an app could easily crash the OS. I could write a simple one line app to do that (look up "fork bomb" and you'll see what I mean).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz, i5, 8gb 13"
So are all Mac App Store apps "safe?" As in, unlike android, all the apps are certified by Apple and deemed "safe" to install (given you have the proper specs on your computer)?

Also, are apps bought through the Store less expensive than if you look for a hard copy in the store?

And one more...if my computer spontaneously combusts and I have to buy a new mac, can I go back and retrieve the apps that I previously downloaded?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.