Boot from folder?

Reaction score
I just got my Macbook Pro back from the Apple Genius bar...first thing they did to repair my machine was reinstall OSX 10.6.8 (that turned out not to be the problem - it was a hardware issue.) At first I thought they deleted or overwrote my entire old boot volume, but then I found they moved it to a folder within the hidden Volumes folder (/Volumes/Macintosh HD)...how can I boot from this folder and ideally restore it as my default boot volume? I'd like to have all my apps and stuff back.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
/Volumes/ is not a folder, its the UNIX file hierarchy at the root level of devices, so /Volumes/Macintosh HD would be a hard disk or Partition called Macintosh HD, not a folder called Macintosh HD inside a folder called Volumes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I was wrong then, in your case there is a backup ,of your old system in a folder.

You might be able to get your old account back using migration assistant, but you might be better off making a disk image from the folder /Volumes/Macintosh HD - you can use disk utility to do this but may need an external disk if you don't have the spare space.

You can then mount the disk image and use Migration assistant to bring back your old user account and apps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.