• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

One month in with my new Mac

Reaction score
I've had my 1st Mac, a 13 inch MBA for a month now. My MBA uses our network laser printer & instead of using precious SSD drive space to install Windows I've opted instead to use a VPN program to log onto a Windows desktop to use Win Live Writer.

I decided that in order to give OS X and the Mac a fair review that I must immerse myself into the experience fully, to really learn how to navigate the OS. I restored my Windows laptop & it went to a new home last night.

So here I am now, since I really dislike being forced to sit at a desktop & prefer doing my work late at night in bed or on the sofa,my MBA is pretty much my primary computer, I am now forced to learn the Mac way to get my work done, sink or swim time. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
If you would like to increase your efficiency and productivity may I suggest that you learn some of the Keyboard Shortcuts.
All menu items in the menu bar show their Keyboard Shortcuts right beside them.

It really does help with all the cursor navigation.

DavidH

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
That's the best way to learn. Full immersion. It'll be second nature in no time. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 16GB WiFi
3.5 months into my first mac. MacBook pro 13". Went the total immersion route too. Still haven't settled on a replacement for Quicken, but otherwise getting the hang of it. Never used shortcuts on my windows computers, but am learning them on the mac and really liking them a lot!

I basically taught myself how to use my old computers and didn't always do things the most efficient ways. Now I am coming to this forum and google whenever I don't know how to do something and learning the right/most efficient ways first!

Geekbabe, please post how you like the manual and if you find it helpful. I just might have to get it too!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
I have the Manual by D. Pogue, it pretty much has everything (and more), that you would care to know about OS X Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 500GB OS10.7.2 i5, 4G 32GB iPod Touch
As far as shortcuts go, your typical ctrl c (copy), ctrl v (paste) ctrl a (select all) ctrl z (undo) and ctrl y (redo) all use the same letter. The only difference with those is the Command button is used instead of control :D And OSX is so intuitive, it's just real easy to use and there's really not much to learn. It's easier to jump around and figure out for yourself how it works rather than sit and read manuals all day and Mac for Dummies books.

Reaction score
Congrats on the transition. Once you make the change, you'll never look back! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
The only difference with those is the Command button is used instead of control :D

Can not count the number of times that I kept going for the Control key instead of command for the first month or so. :D:D

OP
G
Reaction score
I am now 2 months in with my Mac, I love this computer a little more with each passing day. It's so light & easy to carry with me,it is basically silent! this system is so quiet that when I need to use other computers I find myself really annoyed by how noisy they are!

Keyboard shortcuts rule!

I'm also really enjoying the process of hunting for apps & finding solutions to help me do my work on OS X Lion. There are some really talented dev's out there!

This is probably the best gift my husband ever bought me!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.