Mac Pro Memory Upgrade Query

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20
I am trying to upgrade the memory in my Macpro from 4GB. I have purchased 2 x 4GB DIMMS from Crucial and am having issues that are clearly related to memory mixing and slot dependencies but am not sure I can figure out what yet and before I try anything else I thought to ask others...see the attached

1. I started with Starting Memory.pdf
2. I added the 2 4GB DIMMS to slots 1 and 2 of modules A and B but when I did this the second riser (riser B) was no longer recognised and the second slot in riser A was also no longer being read (Result.pdf)
3. If I removed the Crucial modules and reverted then all of the original modules and slots were read (Reverted.pdf)

Clearly there are slot dependencies....do I put the Crucial Modules in slots 1 and 2 of RISER A and populate B with the original 1GB DIMMs or must I remove all of the original DIMMS ? It looks as if the 4 and 1GB DIMMS will sort of coexist but why am I missing slots etc ?

View attachment Starting Memory.pdf

View attachment Result.pdf

View attachment Reverted.pdf

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.