Notepad for mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
Does Mac OS have a quick notepad program?

I see something called text edit but does not sound like a note pad program to me?

I have Mac office 2011 but would like a quick notepad for various numbers and passwords i need to store.

Thanks for your help guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Text Edit is fairly similar to notepad. It works fine for writing down the quick thing.

Mac 101: TextEdit

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
There are quite a few little quick note apps out there - but for what you're doing - you should give 1Password a try. Perfect for all the numbers and passwords you want to keep handy but not have accessible to everyone. It's a great application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Macbook Pro & iPhone GS3
Try Notational Velocity if you just want to jot things down - nothing sensitive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
There are quite a few little quick note apps out there - but for what you're doing - you should give 1Password a try. Perfect for all the numbers and passwords you want to keep handy but not have accessible to everyone. It's a great application.

+100 for this App. It has to be my Fav atm and does so much more than just Passwords and can be synced to ALL IOS devices. But for a little sum of money ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
There is Notepad but it is accessible through the Mail app. It mirrors the notepad you see on iOS devices and can even be synced with them as well.

Mail>File>New Note. Or control+command+N. Or the New Note icon at the top of the Mail window if you have that icon visible.

OP
Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Text edit has been doing the trick but will look into these other apps as well.
I have all my passwords hand written on a notebook that I have been using for over 10 years -lol!

That might be so 70ish but that is just me stubborn to trust technology.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
Mail>File>New Note. Or control+command+N. Or the New Note icon at the top of the Mail window if you have that icon visible.

And it synchs to all of my devices via iCloud? How have I never used this before? :D :D :D :D

OP
Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stormin you always learn something new here. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Storing all your passwords in an unencrypted/password protected document is dangerous. I would highly recommend looking into some application that stores information securely. At a minimum, it wouldn't hurt to store this document in an encrypted disk image.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Storing all your passwords in an unencrypted/password protected document is dangerous. I would highly recommend looking into some application that stores information securely. At a minimum, it wouldn't hurt to store this document in an encrypted disk image.

True, but it's really awfully common. Believe it or not, IME the higher the security environment, the more common it is (generally because of stupid things like multiple uname/passwd's that all have disparate requirements, rather than a common access system).

That said, you could always use some sort of application like PGP to encrypt the individual file as an alternative to an encrypted disk image. This would only be an issue should you need to read this cross-platform *I think PGP will do this*

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
True, but it's really awfully common. Believe it or not, IME the higher the security environment, the more common it is (generally because of stupid things like multiple uname/passwd's that all have disparate requirements, rather than a common access system).
I have no problem believing you as much as I'd love not to.

That said, you could always use some sort of application like PGP to encrypt the individual file as an alternative to an encrypted disk image. This would only be an issue should you need to read this cross-platform *I think PGP will do this*
That could work and the *nix nerd in me likes that solution but I'm going to guess that this solution is too complex for something as simple as this. ;)

Reaction score
Notational Velocity on iMac is very slick. I keep it open on every Lion desktop. It syncs rapidly and efficiently over wireless with Simplenote on iPad and iPhone. Extremely handy. Not secure, but great for multitude of useful low risk notes.

1Password works for encrypted secure notes.

There are also hypersecure solutions.

C

chas_m

Not to throw yet another option in, but I use XPad every day for scratch writing (I'm a writer by profession, at least currently). It's free and very un-cluttery.

The 1Password suggestion for secure notes is a good idea, but TopXNotes is a cheaper option (for notes) and a very highly-rated program. Has a companion iOS app available too.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I did the paper password thing for years. No more.

1Password is to me the essential APP. My life, like probably most of our lives, is loaded down with WAY too many passwords. What I would find is I would have a password and username combination on paper but forget what site it went to. Which meant I had to record everything, which also means NO security.

1Password is cheap, secure and works very well. Can't reccommend it enough.

Reaction score
TextWrangler.
It's free and displays all the bytes in a file as their ascii equivalent.
It will edit any file format.
And write text

Frank

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.