Uh oh!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 Intel, 1 GB Memory
I just ran the free download "disk omni cleaner" (or something that sounded like that) and now my Macbook won't boot up after deleting all the files that the app. recommended.

Here's what happens. When I hit the power button the gray screen comes up along with the tone, but the apple flickers intermittantly with the forbidden symbol; that little circle with the diagonal line.

I tried powering up doing the shift-key procedure which I thought I saw on here somewhere, but no luck. I was going to go ahead and use the OS 10.4 Tiger start-up disks, but can't even do that.

Right now I'm communicating with my old 10.3 Imac.

Can antone help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I take it you ran OmniDiskSweeper for the Mac? Bad move. I'm not really sure how you're going to recover Tiger without re-installing. And it appears you're having difficulty re-installing.

Also, if system files or other important files were deleted, booting up in Safe mode won't work. (as you found out)

Why can't you boot with your Tiger disk? Is it the correct disk for the machine?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you booting from the OSX DVD by holding down the C key after that startup sound? Not the Shift, but C and keep it down till the boot starts.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I take it you ran OmniDiskSweeper for the Mac? Bad move. I'm not really sure how you're going to recover Tiger without re-installing. And it appears you're having difficulty re-installing.

Also, if system files or other important files were deleted, booting up in Safe mode won't work. (as you found out)

Why can't you boot with your Tiger disk? Is it the correct disk for the machine?

I finally tried to install the Tiger system disk. It seemed to work, but then informed me it failed and to try again. I elected to skip "checking the disk" the first time. Now I'm checking. It's taking awhile.

Are you booting from the OSX DVD by holding down the C key after that startup sound? Not the Shift, but C and keep it down till the boot starts.

See above. I wasn't aware of the C-key thing. If the process doesn't work this time after the start up disk is checked. I'll try what you suggested.

Thanks, so much to the both of you. I'll keep pluggin'!!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The installation appears to be working, now. There was an option to erase all previous data while installing. I selected that and it seems to be working.

I'll update later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.