Macbook Pro 2.4 with common nvidia issue (quick question)

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a macbook pro 2.4 SR. About six months ago I first experienced the scrambled video due to the nvidia graphics chip. It only did it once, so I didn't think anything of it since I was unaware of the issue. About 5 months later, the same scrambled video started to happen more consistently to the point now where it won't boot without scrambled video.

I took it in to apple about 2 days ago after finding the issue on the apple site stating they'll fix it for free within 4 years of the purchase date. After the genius diagnosed it as the nvidia issue, he said the my macbook was out of the 4 year window and that it was cost $350 US to fix it as long as there are no dents in the casing. This seemed odd that they could only fix it if there were no more dents in the casing.

Now this is my question. Has anyone successfully been able to get their macbook pro fixed for free even being outside the 4 year window. Is there anything I can do to get it fixed under this Apple recall even outside the 4 years?

I appreciate any input or thought on this.

Thanks

Jay

OP
J
Reaction score
Another question I had was, If I did choose to get this fixed, will I still be vulnerable to this nvidia issue? I know it's due to overheating, but if this issue could resurface, what preventative measures could I take to prevent it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now this is my question. Has anyone successfully been able to get their macbook pro fixed for free even being outside the 4 year window. Is there anything I can do to get it fixed under this Apple recall even outside the 4 years?

See the manager of the Apple store where you've taken it in to. Explain to him\her the same thing you stated in your post above. The manager at his\her discretion may go ahead and repair it for free. You've nothing to lose by trying.

Replacing the logic board with one that has been modified to prevent the GPU from failing is no guaranty that other problems may not occur. Just use common sense like not placing the machine on your lap or another surface that does not allow adequate ventilation.

Reaction score
I had one store be very unhelpful, had it overnight and then said that they couldn't do anything because the serial number label was scratched on the bottom. I took it to another store. The guy took it into the tech room, and was gone less that 3 minutes. No problem, clearly the NVidia issue, be ready in a few days. These were both authorized dealers, not Apple corporate stores, btw.

It's all related to the person you talk to. I was about 3 months out of warranty as I recall.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.