Is it posible to run programs that I have on a CD without that CD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.4GHz iPhone 3GS
Basically, I want to be able to run a program I have without having to insert the CD in every time, because I don't want to be carrying around an extra CD all the time.

Is there any way for me to transfer the program from the CD to my Macbook?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This very much depends on the application. Some companies provide means for accomplishing this while other require that the disc for their product be present. Which application are you trying to do this for?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Programs that require the CD to be inserted in order to run are generally protected. (DRM) In order to copy the contents to your machine you would have to break the copy protection which is illegal here in the US. My advice is not buy those games or programs which require the master CD to be inserted in order to run.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you can, find out if the developer has a downloadable version. Not only will you not require the optical media but you'll likely save some money (downloadable versions, in my experience, generally tend to be cheaper).

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.4GHz iPhone 3GS
Thanks for the replies, but oddly enough I managed to get it working anyway!

You see I bought a medical textbook called Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology, by Martini. And with it came a CD program compatible with Mac.

Here's the ISBN of the CD: ISBN 0-8053-6117-0

Anyway the contents of the CD are really odd. Everything is run in my internet browser - the readme file told me to click on a file called StartHere.html and it was a browser based application. I tried copying the URL and going to that page when the CD was out, but that didn't work.

The solution was simply to copy and paste the entire contents of the CD to a folder onto my Mac, and now it works!

So I would imagine that the makers of the program made the program run in the browser using html to make it compatible with Mac the easy way? There is a StartHere.exe file but there is no dmg file or anything. Everything is .html.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.