Editing problem with cursor placement in Word for Mac 2011:

Reaction score
I've just switched from a MacBook Pro with Word for Mac 2008 to Word for Mac 2011, and there's a glitch in the application that's driving me crazy. As I'm writing and editing longer documents, and particularly when cutting or deleting shorter paragraphs within the document, my cursor is jumping to places that I don't expect it to be (compared with 2008): somehow, the cursor is always jumping toward the bottom of the screen and moving the document upward: once I delete something, I have to search for the cursor rather than it remaining in the same position on the screen as it does in 2008. I'm hoping there is some setting or other that will stop this odd jumping around the screen? Thanks so much.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not happening here with my installation of Office 2011. Did you remove Office 2008 before installing 2011? I know the Microsoft instructions say it's not necessary, but I have found that leaving 2008 in place and installing 2011 over it causes some problems. If you haven't removed 2008, don't attempt to remove it after you installed 2011. You may wind up having to reinstall 2011 if you do.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks chscag -- but no, I'm using Office 2011 on a new Macbook Pro and have not done any uninstalling. I wonder what could be causing my problem then? I've gone back to my old machine with Word 2008 and have noticed that one of the differences is that, in 2008, when deleting or cutting paragraphs, all lines above the deletion stay stable (with the text below moving up, obviously), but in 2011, the top lines do not stay stable. Any help would be much appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just had a thought... Are you using Styles? I rarely use them because of the way some of them change the behavior of Word with regard to paragraph placement, format, and also deletion. Styles are nice but somewhat hard to control if you're not accustomed to the way they can modify a document.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.