Why is my macbook pro 2011 slower than my 2009?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been using my new 2011 macbook pro for the last few months and I have to say I am confused. The only reason I brought a new computer was because my wife's HP finally died and we decided for her to take the old 2009 macbook pro and I buy a new since I use it a lot more.

I expected a lot but both man is the new 2011 slower than my old one and the battery does not last no where near as long. I don't get it. Both have a 500 gig hard drive and both have 8 gigs of ram. The 2009 is a 2.5 core duo and the 2011 is a 2.2 core i7. Both are also running lion but overall everything opens lighting quick on the 2009 compared to the newer one. Heck I get the spinning wheel quite a bit on this computer compared to the old.

So my question is, What the heck and how can I fix this?

John

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So my question is, What the heck and how can I fix this?

Give the "Beachballs" link in my signature a read. Also realize that a "bad" hard drive can also cause what you're describing. Yes I know that it's a new computer...but anything can happen with hard drives (old or new).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.