Help: Gaming in Bootcamp

Reaction score
I have mid-2011 21.5 inch iMac @2.7 GHz.

My question is that if I wanted to play windows only games like Skyrim, would Bootcamp run them as efficiently as a Windows PC would?

If not I would have to go ahead and spend 1.5k on a nice gaming PC but I would rather use the iMac that I already have.

I'm a bit of a noob at this if you can't already tell, so any info on gaming inside of bootcamp vs gaming on a native windows pc would be appreciated.

Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Boot Camp doesn't "run" anything. Boot Camp is a set of tools that ease the process of installing Windows on your Mac.

From a hardware standpoint, your Mac isn't any different than a run-of-the-mill PC, albeit with EFI instead of BIOS (which is starting to be adopted by Windows machines as well... finally). If you wanted to, you could literally just pop a Windows disc in, forgo OS X and Boot Camp entirely and do a clean install of Windows and if you hooked up a Windows keyboard, you'd notice nearly no difference. Boot Camp does provide the Windows drivers specific to your hardware, and it also adds in a few things like allowances for some of the Mac eccentricities like multi-touch trackpads and specialized keyboard layouts, but it's mostly just a partition utility (Boot Camp Assistant) and a driver package (the Boot Camp CD that you'll use to install drivers).

So, to answer your question, Windows and its associated software (including games) will run as well as they would on any other Windows box of equivalent specification.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.