what i want in the 2012 macbook pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15" i7 2.2 8GB ram late 2011, Ipod touch 4g 8GB,Ipad 2 16GB
these are a few things i want apple to put in the new macbooks

(1) a hdmi port

(2) the usb ports farther apart so you can use 2 usb sticks at the same time

(3) the heat issue under control without 3rd party softwere even if this means making it 0.5 of a cm thicker (this could also be fixed by not putting the gpu right behind the cpu and then putting them on the same heat sync apple...)

(4) the optical drive left in because the majority of music sold is still in cd form

(5) the whole track pad to be click able

(6) customizable keyboard lights like with alienwere how you can change the back lit color

(7) usb 3.0 port

(8) 512mb graphics card stranded on the basic mbp 15" 1gb graphics card to be a optional extra on the lower end mbp 15"

(9) the remote to be standard with all mpb like it used to be

(10) the price to be dropped to £1300 or lower as good as macs are and i love them 1500 is overpriced for what it is

i would like to see what you lot would like apple to implement in the new range of macbook pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
... and a partridge in a pear tree.

jk... :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
First wrong thread. Should probably be moved to "Shweb's Lounge."
Seconds, to reply to some of your "wants"

(1) a hdmi port
Why when you have a ThunderBolt port that can do everything in one input, as well as be split? I don't want a cluttered side like those "other" laptops.

I like this too.

(3) the heat issue under control without 3rd party softwere even if this means making it 0.5 of a cm thicker (this could also be fixed by not putting the gpu right behind the cpu and then putting them on the same heat sync apple...)
Not an "issue," it's going to run like that because of what it is made of. Get a Windows laptop that is made of solid metal and you will notice heat too...I'm not kidding, go do it. Also, the GPC and CPU both are connected by 2 heat syncs connected to individual fans...this is something that is universally done throughout the industry. I have yet to take a laptop apart that has individual heat sinks...not "heat syncs".

(4) the optical drive left in because the majority of music sold is still in cd form
That should be an option, especially from Apple.

(?)It is clickable!

(6) customizable keyboard lights like with alienwere how you can change the back lit color
That just screams boy-gamer to me. I like the clear, bright white lighting a lot more.

(7) usb 3.0 port
Agreed, but it's something that is a definite thing.

(8) 512mb graphics card stranded on the basic mbp 15" 1gb graphics card to be a optional extra on the lower end mbp 15"
There are two options for the 15" because people don't want to pay for that 1gb difference. Otherwise, you already have the 1gb available, why not buy it right now?

Agree

(10) the price to be dropped to £1300 or lower as good as macs are and i love them 1500 is overpriced for what it is
Everyone will always want a lower price.

i would like to see what you lot would like apple to implement in the new range of macbook pro

What I want most out a new 2012 MBP is for them to actually go and get the best, most powerful graphics card for people who want the power, and make a very good one standard, similar to what they've been offering now(best performance/battery ratio). I wouldn't not buy a new MBP that looked the same as my current MBP, so a new design is a must for me. As for processor performance, Apple has been doing pretty well with their updates, so I'll leave it to just saying I want the most powerful processor available as an option.

With that said, what I want most is for it to come with an actual graphics card that is worthy of the MBP's price tag. I could care less about the MBP getting slim...I could really care less...leave that for the MBA lineup. I don't want the potential performance to be compromised for their wanting of it to get thinner.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

(1) a hdmi port

DisplayPort is the functional equivalent of HDMI - and with Thunderbolt, it's even more versatile. Although I would like a second Thunderbolt port, with some kind of lock-in mechanism, as I suspect that port will loosen up over time, and it would really suck to lose something like an external graphics card to the wiggle of a wire.

But right now, a cheap OWC HDMI adapter will accomplish the same function as splicing in an HDMI port, which really wasn't developed as a PC video connection to begin with.

The current model can, it just depends on the thickness of your flash drive. Many (most) are thin enough now that this is a non-issue. If it means compromising the design of the Unibody case, then I'd just as soon say "leave it alone".

Heat is a non-issue in the current model, unless the machine is under load. And if it's under load, every notebook on the market can get uncomfortably warm. Running a Safari, Mail and some productivity apps, my MBP never gets to more than body temperature at the bottom. Gaming or running Flash pages is another story.

There's no need for third party software now - in fact, I would argue that using something like SMCFanControl is unwise.

Get yourself a lap desk and you'll be a much happier person.

Agreed on this point, although I can't remember the last time I bought a CD.

It already is.

LOL, OK, now you're trying to make it something it's not. If you want a gaming laptop, buy the Alienware and call it a day.

(7) usb 3.0 port

I suspect that will be a non-issue if and when the MacBook Pro comes with the Ivy Bridge chipset.

I would also agree there. But seeing as how these aren't really gaming boxes, I would be surprised if it stayed at 512MB.

Not sure why... Front Row isn't included in Lion, so there's little to use the remote to drive. But I agree, if you eliminate bundled items, you should at least lower the price to suit.

Even in US prices, I would agree. The overall cost of notebooks continue to decline as the desktop is declining. Apple will always command a certain premium, but that premium is getting fatter, especially on the 15" model.

I wish the Kensington lock slot was a little more offset from the optical drive slot. It gets in the way when the lock is in place. I'd also like the palm rest edge to be tapered, it's way too sharp on my early 2011 model (although I understand it's less severe on the newer units). I also wish that Apple would apply some kind of an enamel to the aluminum to keep it from being so susceptible to scratches. I had my Speck hardshell off for a few days, and got my first scratch along the bottom. I still have no idea what did it. It seems like you could breathe on the aluminum and scratch it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@iggibar well the thunder bolt is something that will never take off in my opinion a hdmi port is more useable right now than a thunderbolt port were the cord to use it is a £30 extra as a hdmi cable is £2 and has many things that use it the usb ports are to close most usb cords / drives dont fit propoly and the mbp has heat issues i got a brand new mbp 15" i7 on tic over it was running at 89* and using safari it reaches 92* the reason it runs so hot is because the gpu is put right behind the cpu so the heat from the gpu goes through the cpu because apple put cpu and gpu on the same heat sync the whole track pad is not whole click able the top 3cm is not click able i dont want a alienwere i just think it would be cool if you could change the key color to a soft blue or green i know the mac is not for gaming but for the price apple needs to justify the cost

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@iggibar well the thunder bolt is something that will never take off in my opinion a hdmi port is more useable right now than a thunderbolt port were the cord to use it is a £30 extra as a hdmi cable is £2 and has many things that use it

An HDMI adapter is $20. This seems like a really insignificant concern, especially given that the Thunderbolt port is a direct bridge to PCI Express bus, essentially giving it unlimited expansion capabilities. Yes, Apple's Thunderbolt cable is expensive, but it won't be the only option once Thunderbolt ports start getting rolled into mainstream PC hardware, which is already starting to happen.

the usb ports are to close most usb cords / drives dont fit propoly

Funny, if that were true, I have no clue how I've been doing this all along.

and the mbp has heat issues i got a brand new mbp 15" i7 on tic over it was running at 89* and using safari it reaches 92* the reason it runs so hot is because the gpu is put right behind the cpu so the heat from the gpu goes through the cpu because apple put cpu and gpu on the same heat sync

Again, that's odd as my 2011 2GHz i7 MacBook Pro has been sitting on my lap for the last two hours running Safari and Mail and here are my readings:

00000282.png

...and that's 77º Farenheit, or 25º Celsius - and that's also being insulated by a Speck SeeThru Satin shell.

the whole track pad is not whole click able the top 3cm is not click able

Push harder. It's hinged toward the top. It does take more effort, but it still clicks.

i dont want a alienwere i just think it would be cool if you could change the key color to a soft blue or green i know the mac is not for gaming but for the price apple needs to justify the cost

Meh... colored keyboard lighting is tacky IMO, but to each his own...

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@cwa107 i understand that you can but a convert box but its alot easier to plug a hdmi cord in directly as it is something that is going to be around for a while and is redly available than buy a converter box the whole track pad at the top is not i found that heat with the 2011 mbp had heat issues my mac hit 80* on tic and 90* on using safari and using skype hit 97 i would expect 80 on using final cut pro or rendering but on tic over?? and 92 on using the web 92 on running a game from what i found the mid/ late mbp has heat issues i know macs are not for gaming but for rendering and for the few who like to do a bit of gaming in boot camp every little helps i think the remote should be free because when the mac came out it was free and i use my laptop for music alot so the freedom to move and change the song without moving would be handy and movie hence the hdmi port i want to change the key color because i think it wold look cool with a soft blue or green alien were is ott but with mac i think the aluminium it would flow and be suttle

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@cwa107 Well my mac it was hitting high 80s which is like 190*F on tic with fans at 2000 and cpu at 99% idle and like 200*F on light browsing. I went in to a skype call with a friend who has a mbp from 2008 and my lowest temps were his top temps and he has never cleaned his fans and it sits on his bed most of the time i must have just got a bad one but alot of people from what i have found heat issues with the i7 2.2 is very common

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I'm not going to reply to all of them.

I would prefer more USB ports instead.

I agree but not only for music. I burn CDs and DVDs often enough to find it more convenient to have a built-in optical drive.

It is clickable but I understand what you mean. It's much easier to click on the bottom half of the trackpad.

I agree also. Apple seems to be the only few computer company to keep their prices the same rather than reducing them. In my opinion the higher priced MBPs aren't worth the price. It's better to buy the cheaper version and upgrade everything possible yourself. The computer processor speeds aren't that much different. Most people probably won't even notice the speed difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would take a lower price as would anyone and the addition of USB 3.0 for at least one port .

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@EndlessMac

the reason i want to keep the optical drive in is because even tho i tunes is there the vast majority of music is still sold in disk form last year 75% of music sold in the uk was on disks and i burn alot of dl media so i use it often i just feel it would help apple if they reduce the price at this uncerten time

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
7200 RPM's standard HDD's please?!

This.

However, if the chassis slims down and decreases the flow of air, then it could cause more temperature issues. Not to mention fans dying more quickly.

As for the rest of it, if you guys really want the price to come down, then you shouldn't be against leaving out the optical drive. That's almost $100 right there. You want an optical drive? Get the external. Pretty simple logic.

Need more USB ports? Hubs are super cheap, and that will kill two birds with one stone. In fact, Moshi makes an awesome 4 port hub with an multi-card reader. Can't beat that.

HDMI is great and all, but I don't see the issue with using an adapter for maximum compatibility.

cwa said:
Wait a sec... this is a wish list, right? How about high capacity SSDs standard?

Too expensive for the amount if drive space offered. Better yet, offer an option for no disk drive at all, and let the user install their own.. lol *dreams and wishes*

In reality though, an option could be offered to remove the optical drive and replace it with an SSD for the operating system. That would be great.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@EndlessMac

the reason i want to keep the optical drive in is because even tho i tunes is there the vast majority of music is still sold in disk form last year 75% of music sold in the uk was on disks and i burn alot of dl media so i use it often i just feel it would help apple if they reduce the price at this uncerten time
I'm not disagreeing with you. I still get some of my music from CDs but most of the time I use the optical drive for burning discs so I do want to keep the drive.

As for the rest of it, if you guys really want the price to come down, then you shouldn't be against leaving out the optical drive. That's almost $100 right there. You want an optical drive? Get the external. Pretty simple logic.
Windows machines have been able to reduce the price while still keeping the optical drive. That seems to be the point we are trying to make. There is the Apple premium price that is being maintained by Apple.

Also not all of us want to lug around an external anything along with the laptop itself. The weight of the 15" MBP alone is heavy enough and I don't want to carry a bag of accessories for my laptop every time I leave the house. I still want to keep my laptop conveniently portable. I don't do all my disc usage at my house. Pretty simple logic. ;)

C

chas_m

(1) a hdmi port

Na ga ha pen. Thunderbolt.

Fair enough.

(3) the heat issue under control

There is no "heat issue."

This is not, in fact, true at all. The majority of music sold in the US is in fact digital and has been for some time now.

It is.

OFFS.

(7) usb 3.0 port

Na ga ha pen. No consumer acceptance + Thunderbolt.

as for the rest ... well enjoy your fantasy but good luck with that. Personally I find Macs very *under*priced considering their value (and my ability to earn a living based on their technology) but again good luck with that. Maybe Apple could include a unicorn with every purchase as long as we're wishing ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Windows machines have been able to reduce the price while still keeping the optical drive. That seems to be the point we are trying to make. There is the Apple premium price that is being maintained by Apple.
Have you SEEN these "bargain" Windows machines lately? Heck... compare most of them from any time.. they're extremely flimsy, worth the $500 you're likely talking about!

Also not all of us want to lug around an external anything along with the laptop itself. The weight of the 15" MBP alone is heavy enough and I don't want to carry a bag of accessories for my laptop every time I leave the house. I still want to keep my laptop conveniently portable. I don't do all my disc usage at my house. Pretty simple logic. ;)

Well, if the new MB's and MBP's take up the form of the Air's, then you guys won't have to worry about lugging that heavy stuff around anymore, right? Yep, pretty simple logic indeed! ;P

Doug

P.S. Going to the gym a bit more might be in order if an 15" MBP is what you'd consider heavy... lol?:Lips-Are-Sealed:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you SEEN these "bargain" Windows machines lately? Heck... compare most of them from any time.. they're extremely flimsy, worth the $500 you're likely talking about!
I'm not saying Apple needs to compete with "bargain" Windows machines. As prices fall for computers, Apple seems to maintain their prices. All I'm asking is that Apple reduce a little of the pricing as others are also doing so. Many people I've talked to mentioned Apple's prices as one very important reason as why they haven't switched yet.

Well, if the new MB's and MBP's take up the form of the Air's, then you guys won't have to worry about lugging that heavy stuff around anymore, right? Yep, pretty simple logic indeed! ;P

Doug

P.S. Going to the gym a bit more might be in order if an 15" MBP is what you'd consider heavy... lol?:Lips-Are-Sealed:
The heaviness was only one issue. Carrying a laptop around all day can get tiresome for some people. You obviously don't have that problem but there is no need to get personal with your gym comment. My preference about what is heavy is not the same as yours. I wouldn't mind the 15" MBPs getting lighter but not at the cost of an optical drive.

Getting rid of the optical drive still doesn't solve the problem of having to carry around extra accessories. I prefer not to carry around computer accessories. That's also a personal preference that I choose. It makes it easier for longer distance travel like flying. It's less things to lose or break.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.