If I sync my iPhone pics to iPhoto, can I then delete them from my iPhone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.4GHz iPhone 3GS
Hi guys, I just bought a macbook pro, and I already had an iPhone 3GS.

So I connected my iphone to my mac and iphoto popped up and asked if I wanted to import, and I clicked yes.

Since all my photos are on my mac now, I want to delete them off my phone. They're hogging too much of my iphones memory!

But, here's my worry: I'm afraid that if I delete them off my phone, theyll disappear from iPhoto as well.

Is that correct? Does it work like syncing, where if you delete it from one device, it gets deleted from the other device as well?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Syncing doesn't work like that(Not how I use it, anyway).

As far as I've always understood it, you chose what to sync to your with what's on your computer, not the other way around.

Either way, deleting the photos of your iPhone won't affect iPhoto. If you want them back on your iPhone again, just hook it up to iTunes and select which photo's you want to sync back to your phone.

C

chas_m

There's a whole section in iTunes (when the phone is connected) where you can specify exactly which photos you WOULD like to have on the iPhone (ie last two months' worth, last three events, these specific albums etc).

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies guys!

When I sync photos using iTunes, it adds a whole load of photo albums to my iPhone, which I don't want, so I chose not to sync photos through iTunes.

Instead, after importing all my photos to iPhoto, I just clicked 'delete photos from iPhone' and that freed up the memory on my iPhone. And all the pictures are now on my Mac. And that suits me just fine.

Also, I have Photo Stream enabled, so I can see my last 1000 photos on my phone anyway...and even if I want to see older ones I can always upload them to facebook or something. :D

C

chas_m

Just for the record, you are misusing the term "memory." Memory refers to RAM, "storage" refers to drive space. You mean "storage."

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just for the record, you are misusing the term "memory." Memory refers to RAM, "storage" refers to drive space. You mean "storage."

Oh right! Thanks for the heads up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.