SSD for MacPro - recommendations please ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20
I have a dual core 2.66GHz Mac Pro that I am looking to spend some £ on some upgrades for. I have bought 8G of RAM from Crucial and will get a 2TB SATA when prices fall a little but at the moment I am looking to add a SATA SSD for boot and apps and am looking for some pointers and recommendations ?

I am running Lion

Thanks for any thoughts from others who have been this way before ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have found the most reliable to be Mercury Extreme from OWC and Kingston. The size depends entirely on how much you can afford to spend. With a little effort have found a 64GB will handle OS and applications, although a 128GB allows a little more leeway. SSD's will make a huge difference to your Mac Pro.

If you have a 1.1 Mac Pro and do not intend updating, get the 3GBps SATA II model as a SATA III will still connect at 3GBps and not 6GBps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
At £200 not likely.

Buy it direct from OWC for $180 odd, about what £100? OWC is the only way to shop for us outside US. Service to here in Australia is first class, delivery within 7 days. And yes an Icey or some other dock is the way to go. Buy mine from a Hong Kong dealer at about £8, quarter the price of local dealers. OWC have them. One tip if you use the Icey Dock ~ make sure the drive is seated very firmly inside the case.

OWC Mercury Extreme Pro Solid State Drive (SSD) Solutions - High Performance, Reliability, and Endurance

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/IcyDock/MB882SP1S2B/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.