Ipad2 tethering

Reaction score
Ok so i bought my Mother a Ipad2 16gb wifi for xmas. She is debating on trading it for the 3g model and just paying the difference but doesnt know if she will ever use the 3g. But there is a chance. If needed would she be able to puchase the tethering plan for 1 month from here iphone so she can tether them and use the 3g off the phone is she went somewhere so she doesnt have to buy the 3g model iPad?

C

chas_m

You and she would want to check with the data provider about tethering. Most US companies don't allow it (without an extra fee at least) IME. Here in Canada, I can use tethering with my provider (actually a built-in "personal hotspot") ONLY if I sign up for the 1GB/month plan. I don't use anywhere near that amount (1/10th of that if I'm lucky) so I can't tether.

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
You and she would want to check with the data provider about tethering. Most US companies don't allow it (without an extra fee at least) IME. Here in Canada, I can use tethering with my provider (actually a built-in "personal hotspot") ONLY if I sign up for the 1GB/month plan. I don't use anywhere near that amount (1/10th of that if I'm lucky) so I can't tether.

We are in the USA and have ATT. i knew there would be an extra cost. One of my questions was can you add the tethering for just one month.

Reaction score
I have Verizon 4LTE I have an HTC Thunderbolt, I have a HOTSPOT plan unlimited for $30.00 a month. This is not just for an Ipad2 it's for everything and anything you want to tether up to 5 devices at one time and it is just as fast as my home broadband and I'm not BSing one bit about that ... So you could literally shut off your home service and run everything off your cell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air mid-2013 4GB, and other machines
Wi-Fi Data & Tethering Data Plan - Wireless from AT&T
shows 0.2GB:$15/month; 2GB: $25/mo; 4GB: $45/mo

Apple iPad 2 - Buy iPad 2 Wi-Fi & iPad Wi-Fi + 3G - Black or White, Two Cameras, HD Recording, A5 Chip - Apple Store (U.S.)
shows the same first two prices if you click "rate plans" at the right side of the page. No 4GB shown. Verizon costs a bit more.

So the tethering is not cheaper, unless somehow you were sharing the plan with the phone (and I'm not sure that's how the pricing works).

For $129, I just want the 3G built in, no connection/setup to think about. Plus, my Apple Store buddy says only the 3G will navigate since only it has GPS (The non-3G only "locates" you by picking up the WiFi locations I guess, so if you're driving that doesn't work).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air mid-2013 4GB, and other machines
Oh, and with the 3G, you don't have to worry about if the cell phone battery dies...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
When I talked to AT&T they told me that the tethering service could be added or removed as needed. I didn't want to give up my unlimited data though (which they told me I would have had to do) so I just bought a 3G iPad from Apple instead. I can say that I love having the option to just have data anywhere. It's worth the upgrade if she is on the fence about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.