• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Help with buying used g5

B

bpublisher

Hello all. I may be interested in switching from my dell dimension 3000 p4 3 ghz with ht to a preowned imac g5. I have been looking around, and found that macs are much better than windoze. I am looking for an imac g5 with a price range of less than 1200 dollars, and with the following specs :
1.9 ghz processor or better
17" screen (prefer 20")
128 mb video card
at least 1 gb ram (or ability to be upgraded)
the new one with built in isight if possible
with a warranty
would prefer facotry preowned
if anyone can find any, please dont hesistate to let me know. thank you

Reaction score
Just buy an Apple Refurb like Reflow linked to. The 17in for under $1000 is a great deal.

OP
B

bpublisher

thanx guys, I like the ones you showed me. I just am a little skeptical being new to apple whether it would make a big difference with the speed and screen size going with a 17 inch instead of a 20 inch, also if i realy need the one with built in isight. lemme know what you think

Reaction score
I really doubt you'll ever use the iSight. It seems neat but really not a lot of uses for it.

OP
B

bpublisher

I agree, does the isight have a mic I could use to record my band? if so it is essential

OP
J

jn4jenny

This is the best link for finding Mac deals all over the web. They stay pretty well on top of the prices for every Mac make and model at every authorized Apple reseller out there.

http://www.lowendmac.com/imac/g5deals.html

Of course, be sure to get one that's eligible for AppleCare. Factory refurbs usually are, used ones not so much--but occasionally you'll find a used one that's being sold with AppleCare attached (AppleCare can be easily transferred to a new owner). The warranty is really essential, either way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
If I was you I'd really got for the 20" It makes a lot of difference and is way cooler!

OP
B

bpublisher

hm... I went to apple.com and I found an interesting comp for 899. I think it would be worth it. But do they come with ilife and with tiger? Also my price range is now under 1000 :(

OP
J

jn4jenny

bpublisher said:
hm... I went to apple.com and I found an interesting comp for 899. I think it would be worth it. But do they come with ilife and with tiger? Also my price range is now under 1000 :(

In that price range, you're going to have a heck of a time buying an iMac. You might be able to scoop up a Refurb, but they come and go VERY fast. YThat $849 machine is already gone!

Speaking of keeping your eyes peeled, those "Learn More" links on the Refurb page will usually tell you if the system will come with iLife and Tiger. For most of the iMacs, the answer should be yes.

OP
B

bpublisher

I found an imac with these specs for 760 dollars (includes shipping). What do you think? Is it worth it?

# Operating System: Mac OS X
# Keyboard: Apple Keyboard
# Mouse: Apple Mouse
# Storage Size: 160 GB SATA Hard Drive
# CD-RW/DVD-ROM: 40x (read), 16x (write), 10x (rewrite) 8x (dvdRead)
# Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 9600Pro 128MB AGP 8X
# USB Ports: 2
# FireWire Ports: 2
# NTSC/PAL Ports: 1
# Modem: 56 Kbps
# Network Connection: Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit),Built-in 54 Mbps Wireless
# Speakers: Integrated stereo speakers
# Display: Widescreen TFT active-matrix LCD
# Bundled Software: Mac OS X version 10.4 Tiger, iLife '05 (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie HD, iDVD, GarageBand), Mail, Dashboard, Spotlight, iChat, Safari, Sherlock, QuickTime, iSync, iCal, DVD Player, Address Book, AppleWorks, iWork (30-day trial), Classic environment, Quicken 2005 for Macintosh, 2005 World Book Multimedia Reference Suite, Nanosaur 2, Marble Blast Gold, Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive, Zinio Reader, XCode Developer Tools and Apple Hardware Test
# Warranty, Parts: 1 Year (Factory)
#

Warraornty, Lab: 1 Year (Factory)

yes, and it does not have a superdrive :( (I have a 16x external dual layer drive, is that equivalent?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
I have a 16x lite-on hooked up to my mac mini by firewire, and that thing screams, I can copy a dvd in about 8 minutes.

OP
L

lil

We would need to know the screen size, what speed G5 that is to know for sure. But that looks like a good deal from here.

Vicky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.