Noisy Internal Hard Drive

P

Paul G

Hi there,

My 160GB HD in my G5 tower is becoming increasingly more noisy. It's been suggested I buy another as it might just die and I have many images on there that aren't backed up!!!

So I have 2 questions please.

1) Which internal HD would people suggest? Should I go to the Apple Store and buy one from there, or can I get it somewhere else more cheaply.

2) I'm aware that I should back up my files so was thinking that I should buy an external drive AS WELL as an internal one. What are peoples thoughts on that? Which one would people suggest?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
1. I pretty much only use Maxtors and have very little trouble with them.

2. Buy your own IDE/ATA internal HDD and buy a Firewire/USB2 case. In most cases you can get a better deal and a bigger drive for less money. Places like CompUSA, BestBuy, Fry's and most office supply stores sell both drives and cases. Many places on-lin have good deals as well, remember, Google is your friend. Look for sales and you'll get an even better deal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.