Is Apple TV the best for me?

Reaction score
My question is similar to "Is Apple TV worth it without iPad". I would like to use my need 27" iMac (1 TB, 16 G RAM) to stream video from Netflix and other video sources (fee and free) - the more choices the better. I already have a Bose Audiowave (just purchased) that has the air link system so I can send my iTunes to the living room wirelessly. The only advantage that I can see so far over the Roku setup is the ability to view my iPhoto collection or iMovies on the 60" Sony HDTV. Is the Apple TV going to be limiting as far as selection for video sources? I can't see an advantage to paying $3.99 to rent or $9.99 to buy, when I could see whatever I want, whenever I want for $8.99 a month on Netflix. Just why would I want to have the Apple TV. Oh, by the way, I also have a Macbook (120 G, 6 G RAM).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
AppleTV is HD720 only. It is HDMI only.

I have an ATV2 on my bedroom TV (which is 720 anyway) and it works fine. It will work as expected on any HDMI-equiped TV.

I wont tell anyone "yes, it will work for you" because I dont know you. go demo it.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Apple or Roku

Since the HDTV is HDMI equipped, there should be no problem there. My main issue is Roku or Apple? It looks like more and more, if I want the ease of Apple and the choices of Roku ... I will need to purchase both. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I have an ATV & an ATV2. Both are great. Basically, if you can get it into iTunes, you can view it or listen to it on ATV. We bought a Roku in addition to our ATVs and returned it. The content was deplorable for what we wanted to watch. Hulu was what we were interested in using the Roku to stream. Well, we quickly learned that Hulu us really a link aggregation site for the most part. Hulu, and all the content it links too, is not viewable on Roku. Hulu+ is, which ultimately means you can view less content than you can link to on the Hulu website on your computer due to licensing issues. Roku is a "device" in the TV category which means that what you can see on the website on your computer is not generally available on the Roku device.

Anyhow, if you like old shows, movie trailers, or 2 minute director/actor commentary on shows, Hulu/Roku is for you. You can watch Firefly on Roku, but then again you can stream it on Netflix too. Netflix is available on ATV & Roku, so we just kept the ATV's and hooked up the Mac to our TV to watch "real" Hulu (so to speak). Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
You can, from your Mac, use AirPlay to watch what is on the Mac on your TV through the AVT2.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Well, now that I've done some research and visited some sites, it is shaping up that I should go with the ATV2 (or latest version available). I just want to be clear, my main choices as far as internet video streaming (movies, tv programing) will be Netflix, iTunes, and NHL, NBA, and MLB (all out of market broadcasts). I'll have to do more research on Netflix as it seems there is a lot more than just movies available. I really can't see the need to purchase movies at $9.99 from iTunes as long as they are much cheaper to access though Netflix. If there is some advantage that I'm missing, let me know. Remember that I can stream my iTunes music and radio though my Bose Audiowave auto link. The picture and home movie transfers are nice, but probably represents about 5% of the use of the system at best in my household. Thanks for all of your advise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.