help please, new on mac

Reaction score
Hi, sorry if this is the wrong forum, but i'm desperate.

I recently buyed an imac, and when i turned it on, i configured my wifi, and it asked me if i wanted to transfer files from a pc. I did, i transfered all of my contents to the mac. One of those folders was hidden in windows.

Now apparently it's hidden on mac aswell, but i can't find a way to make it visible. I know it has been transfered because of the size of the main folder where this hidden folder is in.

ive tried with the many

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

and similar codes in the terminal, but all these do is make some DS files visible, but NOT the folder i'm looking for.

Does anybody know what to do?

OP
G
Reaction score
thanx, but i dont think that'll help. i know WHERE the hidden folder is (every file and folder is in the same place as it was on my pc). the thing is, in windows, i went to FOLDER OPTIONS and i selected SHOW HIDDEN FILES and the folder appeared, whereas in mac, i don't find anything that makes it visible. The only thing i've found in google is the terminal stuff but that doesn't do it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Is it possible that the files have a "." at the beginning of the name (for example, .myfile1). If so, OS X, like most other UNIX-variants will regard that as a hidden file. You can make your Mac display them by opening the terminal and typing this:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

Press Return and then:

Code:
killall Finder

Then you should see them. To undo the change (once you're done cleaning them up), type:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

Press Return and then:

Code:
killall Finder

...and everything should be back to normal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.