Epson 4880 printing problem

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been having this problem for more than a month now and tried everything. I haven't found anyone else with a similar problem - the printer doesn't print the whole paper width; it cuts the image widthwise and prints only a part of it in the middle of the paper.

It does the same thing from both Macs that we have. I tried to remove / recreate the printer; uninstall / reinstall the driver. Although when I downloaded a trial version of the RIP software (ColorBurst), it totally took care of the issue and the printer printed normally. The trial period is over now and I'm back to the same issue.

Please help. Any ideas / suggestions will be appreciated.
Thank you!

P.S. I am using Adobe CS5 and Mac OS 10.6.8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Have you set the page options with page setup before trying to print?

Reaction score

I'm very late to the party, but my 4880 has just started doing the very same thing.

Did you ever find a solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
RustyC -
If you want help, you need to give us all the details - OS X version, Driver version from within Print & Scan prefs, what you have done so far and the results - in detail.
How about page setup?
How about the options in the print dialog pull-down menu below page size and orientation?

Reaction score
RustyC -
If you want help, you need to give us all the details - OS X version, Driver version from within Print & Scan prefs, what you have done so far and the results - in detail.
How about page setup?
How about the options in the print dialog pull-down menu below page size and orientation?

Using 2 machines Mac OSX 10.6.8 & 10.8.5

EPSON Firmware: B02198.1.02.800 (latest)
EPSON Driver: 9.17 (on both machines)
Paper Stock: 17 inch Roll

Custom paper size: 420x115mm (just bigger than image itself)
No Scale to fit
Page Setup: Roll Paper - Borderless (Retain Size)
Layout: Landscape

These are the settings that I have always used without issue.

I can use these same settings from my PC laptop and the image prints in full.

But from the mac, I now only get the middle portion. The problem only started in the last two days, after 2 years of no hassle printing with the very same settings.

The attached image displays the problem.... The screen's print preview shows what should print, but the print itself is only of the middle section.

Cheers

PrintPROBEM.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Reaction score
RustyC - are you saying you only have the issue on 10.9.x? not 10.6.x?
I don't find this printer listed in the currently-supported printer software available list:
OS X: Printer and scanner software available for download

Going to be hard to troubleshoot without a supported driver...
Have you ever tried the gutenprint drivers? Good at least for troubleshooting.
Gutenprint for Mac OS X

No, the problem exists on both 10.9 & 10.6, but I have no issues with Win 8.1

The drivers are downloaded from EPSON and suitable for both the mac OS's.

I will investigate Gutenprint now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
After "after 2 years of no hassle printing" I'd suggest the problem is not with any drivers unless they got updated somehow in the background and the new ones are goofy. Doubtful.

But does the problem happen when printing a page from any application or even printing a Safari web page or PDF file???

And does the printer's test page print correctly?

Reaction score
After "after 2 years of no hassle printing" I'd suggest the problem is not with any drivers unless they got updated somehow in the background and the new ones are goofy. Doubtful.

But does the problem happen when printing a page from any application or even printing a Safari web page or PDF file???

And does the printer's test page print correctly?

I'm thinking it must have been a background update. :(

If I use the Gutenprint driver the images will print in full from Photoshop. The colour is not faithful (not even close) but at least it shows that the size issue is related to the current driver and not an application issue as such.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I think you should talk to Epson.
And leave feedback for Apple at apple.com/feedback.
(including the fact that no Stylus Pro drivers are listed on the software availability list - link above.)

Reaction score
I think you should talk to Epson.
And leave feedback for Apple at apple.com/feedback.
(including the fact that no Stylus Pro drivers are listed on the software availability list - link above.)

I have submitted a support case with EPSON. I will wait till I hear from them now, as it's doing my head in. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Epson's earlier advice about not using the Gutenprint drivers is a bit interesting - if it still applies, but it may be worth checking on what drivers are being used, and with each document just in case.
Epson Stylus Pro 4880, FAQ - Technical Support - Epson Canada, Limited.

I'm also suspicious of what Epson driver version is in use, and a possible "background" update as the problem just seemed to start and it seems their latest diver was released recently:
Printer Driver v9.14
14/07/14

But with the same problem on both Macs seems a bit odd.

I don't suppose that using the OS X Reset Print Services would help, or would it...???

Anyway, let's hope that they can provide a solution.

It seems a bit odd to me that the specs for the Epson Stylus Pro 4880 lists Mac OS X compatibility, yet I don't see it listed in Apple's list of supported devices:
OS X: Printer and scanner software available for download

Good luck. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.