delete apps without losing data?

Reaction score
How can you delete an app without losing saved data/progress? Is there a way through iCloud? I have an 8gb 4th gen iPod touch. I have a lot of music, so with 8gb, space is limited. Some apps I have take up 20-30 MB. Some of these games I don't play that much, but I don't delete them because I have made a lot of progress (levels, scores, acheivements). It would be nice to delete some of these 30 MB apps that take up precious space, and them redownload them in the future when I have more space, but without having to start the whole game over.

Also, I read somewhere that there might be a way to do this with iCloud, but I don't really know how.

Thanks!

C

chas_m

You're looking at the problem EXACTLY backwards.

The apps aren't taking up very much space at all. It's the MUSIC that's taking up all the space. So the logical approach would be to find a way to reduce the footprint of the music.

Given this, three questions:

1. Do you actually NEED 6GB or however much music you carry around with you ALL THE TIME, or could you easily set up a "swap out" of music that happens every time you charge up the iPhone (for example) and carry dramatically less music around with you each day?

2. Would iTunes Match solve the problem?

3. Have you considered the possibility of getting a used or new replacement with more capacity? I hear there's some kind of major holiday coming up ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.