Imac users that use their macs in the cold. Question on temps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
Hello friends

I have a 2011 Imac 21.5 and my computer room can get quite cold in the winter. The most extreme temps are high 40's but normally can be mid to low 60's.
So far the coldest has been 45 degrees I know Apple says at least 50 degrees but do you think it would be a problem running the Mac in 45 degree weather?
This is just a few hours at the coldest and it normally heats up to the 60's later in the day.

I ran my PC and Laptop in the same rooms for years with no issues. I did google this any many people state it is better for it to be cold then extremely warm. I just want real life Mac users that have done the same thing.

Thanks for your input.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I wouldn't be as worried about my iMac as I would about me. Being an old computer repair guy who worked on main frames, I know what it's like to work in arctic temperatures. :)

Seriously, the only worry I would have is going from cold to warmer as you stated. There is always a danger of condensation building up although the three fans in an iMac and the way it's vented should give enough protection.

I would not want to operate a notebook computer in those conditions though.

OP
Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks friend.

I normally start my day around 4 or 5 am every day of the week and it is around the high 40's now. By 8 or 9 it is in the 60's so it is a gradual gain. I do this for about 2 months out of the year then it is always around 70 in my computer room.
One week it got in the 80's in my room and my Sony was so hot you could fry an egg on it but still kept ticking :)

Only ran the notebook a few times in the 40 degree temperatures.

I do run my Ipad outside in very cold temps with no issues (high 30's, low 40's)

Reaction score
Hello friends

I have a 2011 Imac 21.5 and my computer room can get quite cold in the winter. The most extreme temps are high 40's but normally can be mid to low 60's.
So far the coldest has been 45 degrees I know Apple says at least 50 degrees but do you think it would be a problem running the Mac in 45 degree weather?
This is just a few hours at the coldest and it normally heats up to the 60's later in the day.

I ran my PC and Laptop in the same rooms for years with no issues. I did google this any many people state it is better for it to be cold then extremely warm. I just want real life Mac users that have done the same thing.

Thanks for your input.

As mentioned previously, I wouldn't worry about mid-40 degree temps on your computer hardware.. Your health is another matter(can't imagine a room that cold in my house) :Blushing:

Virtually all computer h/w will function well as long as it's above the freezing and/or the dew point temps (moisture not good for electronics either).

I would say the only cavaet to this is your LCD monitor. While cooler temps don't damage the screen it may not function properly until the internal components warm-up...

A simple solution would be leaving your iMac turned-on with a screen saver going during the coldest days.. Be sure it's not in a sleep mode.

This would ensure the internal components are warmed, the energy draw is very minimal.

Good Luck.

OP
Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cybermac funny you should post a reply I was just going to update this thread.

It is another cold one here and it is exactly 46 degrees and I have been running my comp for about 1 hr.

I always like to here from real life experiences rather than I think or I hear or I read. I will continue to update this thread during the winter to share my experiences on using my Imac in the cold. Again it will get warmer throughout the day but it is a gradual warm up. In about 2-3 hours it should be around the mid 60s in my comp room.

Thanks for your replies everyone. I am bundled up and look like an Eskimo and hitting 5 different keys at once with my gloves on :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nothing like having an Igloo for a computer room! :p

OP
Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ksmn1579l.jpg

This is me in the morning no lie. I normally have 1-2 jackets and little mittens until 9 or 10ish :)

OP
Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok happy to report no issues running Imac at 45-46 degrees. I am on my third week and run this at this Temp for bout 2 hours and if something was going to happen it probably would have already. Again I see a ton of questions online about running temps on Imacs so I just wanted to give you guys can update.

Now If I could just take care of my frostbite issue :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.