Apple TV and AVI files

Reaction score
I recently purchased an Apple TV to play video files from my computer (as advertised). I was dissapointed to find out that it will not run avi files and all my movies on my external hardrive are avi files.

So i started using handbrake to convert the files into itunes library but this was taking too long and taking up memory space. I was about to give up when I found a simple solution that took 5 minutes and cost $3. Hence I would like to share it.

using iphone or ipad etc.

1) Download Air Video App onto iPhone/ipad
2) Download Air Video Server onto computer
3) Run server on computer and add movie folders
4) Use iPhone Air Video to access the movie folder, select movie and then select output device as Apple TV.
5) The iPhone now acts like a remote control to the Apple TV.

I now like my Apple TV as I can plug it into any TV in the house and play all my avi movies wirelessly with ease.

Reaction score
Interesting. I bought ATV Flash and love it. I have 3 external HDs plugged into my router and I stream all my media through my ATV2 now using their software.

OP
N
Reaction score
ATV costs around $40 and certainly is packed with great features.
I just wanted something cheap and simple.
How do you plug HDs into a router? All my HDs are plugged into a master computer (USB connection) which means I need to run the computer to access these files.

Reaction score
I have a "Belkin Hi-Speed 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub for Mac mini" plugged into my air port extreme base station and then the hard drives are plugged into it. I can access them from any computer and all my ATVs. Well any mac, they are journaled drives (not NTFS). Not all routers will read the drives if they aren't in NTFS or FAT32.

Belkin Hi-Speed 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub for Mac mini F5U264 B&H Photo

I picked the Belkin because it was the same size as my AEBS. The AEBS sits on top of it and it is powered so there isn't any lag streaming 7+ gig files. One note, I had to get a longer cord because it was made for the mac mini and the AEBS has the USB port in a different spot so it wouldn't sit perfectly even until I bought a longer connection cord.

All mine are also wired so if you are streaming stuff over the network wirelessly your results may vary.

OP
N
Reaction score
thanks for the info. I will look into this as I have many External Hard Drives and it would be good to centralise. I run two wirless networks at each end of the house (Netgear/Airport Express Base Station) These are connected via an ethernet PowerLine bridge that includes 4 port routers (200MBPS over Cu wire instead of weak wireless). The AEBS is great as it drives AE and ATV providing music and video to remote buidlings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.