Office 2011 Install issues, won't load Setup Assistant

Reaction score
I have a Mac Pro with Snow Leopard 10.6.7 on it and have been trying to install Office 2011. The install says it is successful, but when I try to open Setup Assistant or any of the programs, the computer locks up, and I can't enter in the Product Key. I've uninstalled it, was well as dug deep in the files and removed anything to do with Microsoft, and tried re-installing....same issue.

Any ideas? Anyone having the same problem?

Thanks for any help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Refresh my memory... what is the Setup Assistant? It's been a while since I installed Office 2011 and may have missed it, but I don't remember seeing a "Setup Assistant".

Also, unless you followed Microsoft's detailed instructions for removing Office 2011, it's likely you overlooked something. Take a look here for detailed uninstall instructions.

OP
K
Reaction score
The setup assistant is the thing that opens after the install is complete, allowing you to enter the product key.

It locks the Mac if I try to open Setup Assistant, AND when I try to open the programs themselves.

As far as deleting files, I've used AppCleaner as well as had our IT guy run through and we deleted all the hidden files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What are you installing from the DVD or a download copy?

Any chance the firewall has been activated preventing network connection to MS?

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/faq

OP
K
Reaction score
I tried the DVD first, and just recently tried from a downloaded copy. Both have the same issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't understand why that should be happening unless there's something about your particular installation that's preventing setup to complete.

Why don't you take this to the MS Office Mac Word forum and ask the experts that hang out there if they can help? Here is the LINK

OP
K
Reaction score
Well, I got it working...finally.

I wiped my hard drive clean after doing a backup with Time Machine. The first thing I did after reinstalling snow leopard was install office. It went on clean and I was able to enter the product key, and office worked great. I then reloaded all of my applications and files from Time Machine and then all of my Adobe CS programs would freeze before opening, the same thing that was happening with Office. I restarted the computer and left it last night, and came into work today to have notices stating that there were conflicts with 8 fonts. I deleted those, and now everything opens as it should.

Strange.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.