Is this a good deal for a MacBook?

Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up a used MacBook (first ever Mac) to use for word processing (blogging, writing), photo editing and light movie editing. I found the following deal on my local Craigslist and am wondering if it's a good deal and appropriate for my needs:

2008 base model MacBook with Intel duo core processor, 500GB 7200rpm HD (new/upgraded), 4GB RAM (upgraded from 1GB), "OS X Leopard", and no other software. This is the white plastic model (not unibody). Asking $450.

What do you think? I'm trying to keep my costs down to $300-$400 and will be replacing an Acer netbook.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The $450 price range is actually in line with what most of the same machines are selling for. I happen to own the exact same machine and have been looking around at prices.

If you can get it for less, that's even better. But make sure you check it out completely before buying. Not everyone treats their computer with TLC. And make sure you get the original Leopard DVD set.

OP
K
Reaction score
Couldn't get the MacBook referenced above for less then $500, so now I'm considering the following:

MacBook (black) with 2.16ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, running Snow Leopard w/ iWork, iLife 11, MS Office 11, Aperture, Photoshop, Toast. Can be purchased for $420.

Will that fit my needs? Decent price? Sorry for the newbie thread, but this will be my first Mac and I want to make it a positive experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
Again, look over the whole thing to make sure that it's been taken care of, but that should get the job done. Especially with Photoshop and Aperture already installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Couldn't get the MacBook referenced above for less then $500, so now I'm considering the following:

MacBook (black) with 2.16ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, running Snow Leopard w/ iWork, iLife 11, MS Office 11, Aperture, Photoshop, Toast. Can be purchased for $420.

Will that fit my needs? Decent price? Sorry for the newbie thread, but this will be my first Mac and I want to make it a positive experience.

See if you can get that extra $20 knocked off at least. But if not, it's still a decent price for that MacBook.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I got the black MacBook for $400. I transferred all my documents, videos and photos last night and did my initial Time Machine backup. I plan to install Lion tonight so that I can use iCloud with our other iOS devices (iPhone, iPad2, iPod Touch).

Do you think Lion will run well on this MacBook?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks for the replies. I got the black MacBook for $400. I transferred all my documents, videos and photos last night and did my initial Time Machine backup. I plan to install Lion tonight so that I can use iCloud with our other iOS devices (iPhone, iPad2, iPod Touch).

Do you think Lion will run well on this MacBook?

It should be fine, although I would HIGHLY recommend bumping the memory up to 4GB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.