Old iMac memory upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac. 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4 Gb 667 MHz Ram
Hey everyone,

Over the course of the next month, I am going to bring my 6 year old Tiger iMac into the modern world. (Ram upgrade, add external HD, Snow leopard).

I have the 24inch iMac version 6.1
2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with
1 Gb 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

Step one:

Upgrade the RAM. I read that this model of iMac can only utilize 3 Gb of Ram but an independent has tested that installing 4 Gb of Ram will not harm the iMac and in fact, seems to help performance even a bit more. I figure for an extra $10 I'll put in 4 Gb.

I am looking at these:

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=FC8D08A0A5CA7304

I also found these but they are 800 mhz instead of 667. Would these work?

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/6400DDR2S4MP/

Any problems with this plan?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't see a problem with using 4 GB of memory as that will work, however, I do not recommend the faster memory. Macs are very fussy about using the exact memory modules or same equivalent. You should be able to purchase the exact spec memory from either Crucial or Other World Computing.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK I will stick to the 667 Mhz. I will double check the OWC site for the appropriate memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
If you really want to speed up your computer put an SSD in. Even on an older iMac it'll do wonders.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just an update. I purchased the correct memory from OWC, 2 X 2Gb 667's. I viewed a youtube video on how to exchange the memory and proceeded to do it myself.

It only took a few minutes and Voila!!! Now have 4Gb of Memory (even though my iMac only utilizes 3 Gb).

Have seen an improvement in the performance of some software but starting and switching applications seems to take a bit longer. And it seems a little less stable. Not sure why.

Should I make any changes to any settings with the increased memory?

Snow Leopard and external hard drive have been ordered and will be my next project.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Just an update. I purchased the correct memory from OWC, 2 X 2Gb 667's. I viewed a youtube video on how to exchange the memory and proceeded to do it myself.

It only took a few minutes and Voila!!! Now have 4Gb of Memory (even though my iMac only utilizes 3 Gb).

Have seen an improvement in the performance of some software but starting and switching applications seems to take a bit longer. And it seems a little less stable. Not sure why.

Should I make any changes to any settings with the increased memory?

Snow Leopard and external hard drive have been ordered and will be my next project.

That's unusual after a ram upgrade. How full is your Hard Drive?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Evan,

I am not 100% sure (and will check when I get home), but I'd esimate there is only about 15 to 20 Gb free (out of 160?).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.