Unstable Internet Connection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2, 4GB, Leopard OS X 10.6.8
I've had my Mini for 3 months and recently, when trying to connect to the internet in the morning, the connection flickers between my service provider's log-in page and google.co.uk (my home page). It's really fast flickering and will not settle on either of the pages. After about 2 hours, it can connect completely normally.

I have an ethernet connection to a Nanostation which picks up a signal from a repeater about 200 metres away. My Internet Service Providers keep telling me there are no problems with the repeater.

I work from home and a stable connection is vital to me. Do you think it could be my Mac or is it actually the signal?

Any advice welcome, please.;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not your Mac Mini. That symptom is typical of a poor or intermittent connection. In your situation it could also be a problem with the repeater. One thing I have found with internet providers is that whoever or wherever they are, they seldom if ever will admit that a bad signal or service is their fault. Keep after them or switch providers if possible.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2, 4GB, Leopard OS X 10.6.8
It's not your Mac Mini. That symptom is typical of a poor or intermittent connection. In your situation it could also be a problem with the repeater. One thing I have found with internet providers is that whoever or wherever they are, they seldom if ever will admit that a bad signal or service is their fault. Keep after them or switch providers if possible.

Thanks very much for this, chscag. I thought as much and they DO keep denying responsibility by saying that no-one else using that particular repeater is complaining. I wonder why? Perhaps they've switched already!:D

Ros

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.