Bank of America: Are They Crazy???

P

PEA

I just received this message from the Bank of America website:
"Attention Mac OS 8 & 9 users only (Note: This does not include PC users).
As of November 18th, 2005, Bank of America will no longer support Internet Explorer 5.0 on Mac OS 8 & 9. Bank of America is committed to providing you with the best possible Online Banking experience, which requires that you have the most current technology available. As a result, we strongly recommend that you download and install the latest Microsoft browser for Mac today."

I use OS X, which isn't mentioned, but I don't like the implications. Do you think I'll be able to use Safari? I don't want to download any more Microsoft software on my iBook. I use Word and that's enough. BOA was recently sued by a customer who lost $20K from his account via Internet fraud. You think that BOA would be happy that customers are using Apple computers.
Does this sound as if I won't be able to log on to the site with Safari or what?
Thank you for your time and information.

OP
S

sursuciofla

For what is implied in the message it looks like only an IE thing. IE no matter if it is on a Mac or not is one of the most unsecure browsers out there. I think the most current one is 5.2. So yeah I think any other browser will work for your bank site I just think they are saying they will not support the old versions of IE anymore just because of the security issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
IE 5.x is over five years old, and it hasn't had a security update in over two years. I'm not surprised that it's not supported anymore, and I don't think it has anything to do with Bank America not wanting to support the Mac. IE on the Mac is just obsolete.

OP
P

PEA

technologist said:
IE 5.x is over five years old, and it hasn't had a security update in over two years. I'm not surprised that it's not supported anymore, and I don't think it has anything to do with Bank America not wanting to support the Mac. IE on the Mac is just obsolete.

sursuciofla said:
For what is implied in the message it looks like only an IE thing. IE no matter if it is on a Mac or not is one of the most unsecure browsers out there. I think the most current one is 5.2. So yeah I think any other browser will work for your bank site I just think they are saying they will not support the old versions of IE anymore just because of the security issues.

Thank you both. I panicked.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
PEA said:
Thank you both. I panicked.

If Safari doesn't work try Firefox.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Bank of America has been horrible in the past with their Mac support.. no idea about their regular backend, but for their merchant services.. it's been horrible. IE for Mac has been discontinued so there is no point in supporting it anymore. People on the Mac should be using Safari or Firefox, and yes there are other browsers, but those are the most used on the Mac. If they do not support one of those then it wouldn't surprise me due to their lack of support for Mac users. I really hope this has improved or will improve since I do have one client that uses them for their merchant account, but mostly I just tell everyone to use Authorize.net :)

Sorry got a bit off on my own tangent there.. but yeah I wouldn't worry about it.. IE for Mac is obsolete. I do find it funny that they say download the latest from microsoft though since there is no latest :) or their latest is several years old :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
PEA said:
I just received this message from the Bank of America website:
"Attention Mac OS 8 & 9 users only (Note: This does not include PC users).
As of November 18th, 2005, Bank of America will no longer support Internet Explorer 5.0 on Mac OS 8 & 9. Bank of America is committed to providing you with the best possible Online Banking experience, which requires that you have the most current technology available. As a result, we strongly recommend that you download and install the latest Microsoft browser for Mac today."

I use OS X, which isn't mentioned, but I don't like the implications. Do you think I'll be able to use Safari? I don't want to download any more Microsoft software on my iBook. I use Word and that's enough. BOA was recently sued by a customer who lost $20K from his account via Internet fraud. You think that BOA would be happy that customers are using Apple computers.
Does this sound as if I won't be able to log on to the site with Safari or what?
Thank you for your time and information.
On Mac, Bank of America supports IE 5.0 and later, and Safari 1.0 and later. Safari will work. Nothing else is officially supported by their website, so you're best off with that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
Bank of America works fine on my Mac OSX while using Firefox..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Only users this will affect is people with old Macs that will not run OSX in the first place. Wells Fargo does this from time to time for security reasons. If anyone has an older Mac and is stuck running an older version of Mac OS, There are other browsers out that will probably work still after they change things at BofA. It will not affect Safari and Firefox under OSX at all as was already stated by other posters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Excellent to hear! When I first started working with them several years ago, they did not support Mac browsers period and certain functionality was lacking.. I had to have my client do a lot of the work in the admin side since I couldn't even see what I needed. Very very good to hear things have improved :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.